Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fluting a #6 contour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Fluting a #6 contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Rather than wade in with my opinion I would recommend that you =

1- Have the barrel fluted by the barrel maker because he is responsible for the
finished product and if it is out of spec. he has to make it good.

As to the stiffness - Log on to Lilja,s Web site and look under FAQ,s about this subject.
Other barrel makers may have something about it, but Dan has a good explanation.

And last but not least- Accuracy is not effected by a proper fluting job on a proper sized
barrel.

Improper fluting can be a disaster and even dangerous if not done properly just like
anything else with firearms.

J E CUSTOM
I plan on having it fluted by the barrel maker, thats not the issue. My concern is, wether or not a properly fluted barrel will perform as well as a nonfluted barrel? By fluting a #6 barrel am i taking away any advantage that a #6 contour would provide me? Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fluting a #6 contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
I plan on having it fluted by the barrel maker, thats not the issue. My concern is, wether or not a properly fluted barrel will perform as well as a nonfluted barrel? By fluting a #6 barrel am i taking away any advantage that a #6 contour would provide me? Thanks
As a general rule a fluted #6 will weigh about the same as a non-fluted #5 so if you want the weight
and strength of a #6 have a #7 fluted.

In my opinion fluting is more for looks than weight because it has the same strength as another
non-fluted barrel of the same weight,contour and length.

So if you like the looks of the flutes, go for it.

It's kind of like muzzle breaks, If you like them,use them. if you don't or don't need them,why add
the cost .

Just my opinion.

PS: I have both and each has it's benefits.

J E CUSTOM