Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fluted barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Fluted barrels

Can you guys tell me what the purpose of a fluted barrel? I have been told that when a barrel is fluted that it helps the barrel cool faster, is this the truth? Or is for weight reduction?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Fluted barrels

lefty , the short answer is both .

Fluting is intended to increase surface area to aid in cooling . The weight loss is a secondary effect.

Mike
Old 12-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

As stated already, it adds more surface area and helps it cool a wee bit faster. IMHO the best way to add many many more acres of surface area for cooling is a good corse bead blasting. These are much smaller but add up to much more cooling ability.

Some claim that it makes a barrel more ridged. 2 barrels of equal length AND weight, the fluted barrel WILL be more ridged. 2 barrels that started out the same length and weight and one got fluted, I am not so sure about.

In snowy conditions they tend to catch snow and when you fire a shot it propels snow onto your scope lense and freezes to it VERY quickly making it impossible for a follow up if needed.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Bronze Member

taking a given barrel and removing some material from it will decrease its weight. It will also make is LESS STIFF. But, it will be "harmonically" stiffer.

Here is some deeeep evaluation on the subject

Varmint Al's Fluted Barrel Stiffness Analysis
Old 12-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

What everyone forgets is.....Yes, a fluted tube will cool faster....no doubt. BUT.......If you flute a barrel, it will also HEAT UP faster than a non fluted tube of the same contour.

My question is this.

You take two identical barrels, same contours, caliber, temp..... ( one fluted, the other non fluted) and shoot 20 identical loads at exactly the same speed. Now, the fluted tube will heat faster and get hotter due to less material to heat. But....it also cools faster due to greater serface area and less mass. Which tube will cool to XX degrees faster??? Yes, if you started at the same hot temp the answer is obvious....but the fluted tube starts cooling at a hotter temp. Is there a net gain in cooling over all? Does the fluting more than compinsate for the higher temps attained after firing the 20 shots???

The only reason I flute is to make weight in my comp guns. I know guys who flute just because of the "cool" factor.

The one BIG drawback to fluting is that while it cools faster....it also creates way more barrel mirage.....it is very noticable, especialy when my brain slides out of my head and I forget my mirage shade!!!!