Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Flinching because of muzzle breaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Flinching because of muzzle breaks

Thanks again folks.

Next time I shoot a breaked rifle I'll try the double protection. I'll look into getting some of those that were mentioned here.

I don't believe I've ever had a flinching issue before, but I don't want to develop a permanent one either!!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 AM
GNERGY

My 338 Ultra mag Sendero was painful to shoot after a while, then I rebarreled it and had Jim install one of his muscle brakes, now it kicks less than my 308 and I don't feel any blast at all. It is enjoyable to shoot and I found the best way is to squeeze the trigger really slow so I don't know when it is going to go off. Just concentrate on holding on your target and don't think about blast or recoil. I shoot my best that way.

Tarey
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

Personally hate brakes, never shot one myself. A few years back a "sniper" team showed up at the range and took the spot next to me. They set up prone and back a bit so the muzzle was over concrete and not blowing stuff everywhere. This of course put the muzzle only a foot or two in front of me and the other shooters. We were under a cover as well. It was absolutely horrible having that thing go off next to you. Luckily I was nearly done when they showed up.

For the hearing protection I would recommend doubling up anyways. I've ruined my hearing many different ways. I've bought the expensive custom plugs with the noise reduction filters but felt they did not get quiet enough and when you lose one at $150 a pair it hurts. I now use these that you mix at home and then let set in your ears. Basically the same things they use to make the mold for custom plugs. The price is right and you get very effective plugs that you can wear all day. Radians Custom Molded Ear Plugs (NRR 26) (Kit Makes One Pair) - Custom-Fit Ear Plugs
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with many of you that shooting next to a guy with a brake is quite an annoyance and sometimes miserable.

But for the shooter himself it can be a non-issue with the right brake.

As was suggested get the muscle brake and you will be happy, the mini muscle would be the one for varmit guns like your 22.250.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Gold Member

I would stop shooting PD's altogether if I could not see my hits. Maybe when you re-barrel you should go with a .20PPC, 20BR or 20x47. less of a need for a break (although I still would) and just a deadly as any large cased .224. I don't break my larger rifles but I will break my smaller calibers all day long just so I can see the PD's do a flip in my scope when it's on 24x. I would move away from your current break and double up on the hearing protection. I would also consider buying some snap caps and working on trigger pull an anticipation. A break on a 22-250 should be no louder then a 30-06 with out one. I don't know anything about the blast back you are getting, but I can tell you I have never experienced it with any of my rifles that wear a break.

Jon
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombeckj View Post
I would stop shooting PD's altogether if I could not see my hits. Maybe when you re-barrel you should go with a .20PPC, 20BR or 20x47. less of a need for a break (although I still would) and just a deadly as any large cased .224. I don't break my larger rifles but I will break my smaller calibers all day long just so I can see the PD's do a flip in my scope when it's on 24x. I would move away from your current break and double up on the hearing protection. I would also consider buying some snap caps and working on trigger pull an anticipation. A break on a 22-250 should be no louder then a 30-06 with out one. I don't know anything about the blast back you are getting, but I can tell you I have never experienced it with any of my rifles that wear a break.

Jon
Hello Jon,

I bought this rifle used, I didn't request a build with a brake, but it came with one.

I cant shoot this braked 22-250 without hearing protection, but I can shoot an unbraked 25-06 without it. So it is loud for sure.

Normally, I have to end up using max of about 16X or 18X on PD's because of mirage. But the scope I have on this gun is 25X. After I get some more ammo loaded, I intend on trying it without the brake. This gun may be heavy enough that I can still see my own shots without the brake.?

What kind of brakes are you using?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Hello Jon,

I bought this rifle used, I didn't request a build with a brake, but it came with one.

I cant shoot this braked 22-250 without hearing protection, but I can shoot an unbraked 25-06 without it. So it is loud for sure.

Normally, I have to end up using max of about 16X or 18X on PD's because of mirage. But the scope I have on this gun is 25X. After I get some more ammo loaded, I intend on trying it without the brake. This gun may be heavy enough that I can still see my own shots without the brake.?

What kind of brakes are you using?
I have sold off my large .224's because of muzzle lift for dedicated small critter guns. My largest now is .223 AI with a muscle style break. I am now using mostly .20 cals. My 20VT shooting a 32gr pill @ 3800 FPS is deadly all day long out to 300 and I if it's a decent day 10mph winds, 400 is do able. Plus it's only using 18grs of powder. This rifle does not wear any breaks but has a #8 pac-nor so it weights in around 13 lbs and I can see my hits with it, plus its quite. I also shoot a 20PPC with a Harrels break with no problems. I can throw a 40gr pill (.275 BC) @ 3900 FPS with VERY little recoil

I would like to build a 20x47 that could shoot the 55gr Bergers (.381BC) Doc a shooter on another forum just took a PD @ over 1000 yards with a 20BR using that bullet.

Jon