Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Flinching because of muzzle breaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Flinching because of muzzle breaks

As Phorwath says, I too use custom molded silicone (not foam) ear plugs from EAR, Inc. I also use ProEars electronic muffs on top of those. Generally speaking I don't hear much of the shot, and can definitely tell when I only have one set of the hearing protection in place. This is much more noticeable when shooting inside, but I double up no matter where I shoot.

ProEars: Pro Ears: The worlds most advanced electronic hearing protection. High NRR or noise attenuation, exceptional amplification, audiophile sound. Safe, OSHA compliant passive earmuffs for military, law enforcement, industrial and shooting sports

EAR, Inc: Earinc/Insta-Mold - Worldwide provider of customized earplugs for hearing protection and communication systems
The ones I use: Earinc/Insta-Mold - Recreational Insta-Mold Earplugs

I'd do this and also change your brake, as mentioned by Sinarms.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Not to be too sarcastic, but you're kinda sensitive. I have a 260 with a vias brake and don't ever feel the blast from the brake. My 300RUM with a 'regular' CSR brake (with ports that go straight out, rather than angled back like their Muscle Brake). Don't feel any blast from it while shooting.

Those off to the sides...now they feel the blast.

Seems the bigger culprit here is the sound concussion that's getting you. As previously suggested, doubling up on hearing protection might help with you're 'sensitivity' ;)
Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

SBruce, currently I own 2 rifles with brakes. A custom 22-250AI with a Holland QD and a a semi-custom 7mmRM with an APS small Painkiller Brake. I do not get blowback from either brake whether shooting under cover or in the open. I have never been a fan of Vais Brakes and this just reinforces my opinion. I also agree with SIN, get another brake. Good Luck.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Plus 2 with MT4XFour. I shoot with brakes all the time and never feel this. Take a look at JP Enterprises for a good looking brake that works very well in all shooting positions.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

What your experiencing was exactly why I've despised brakes and thought I would never use one after shooting a Vias, but I gave the Muscle Brake a try and it is pure pleasure. Muzzle blast at the shooter is total BS and not acceptable, blowing stuff all over the place is unacceptable also. I shoot my rifles with the Muscle brake and regular ear muffs and can't tell the difference between shooting with the brake on or with it screwed of. My spotter can be sitting to the side of me and he's never felt the brake either, you have to get about 6ft to the side before you get a puff of air.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Last edited by bigngreen; 06-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Thanks for the replies folks.

Does kinda feel like a support group thing, LoL

Phorwath, so if I am understanding you correctly, you wear foam plugs and decibal cuttoff muffs?
SBruce,
I use silicone molded in ear plugs by EAR, In.c, like Dr. Vette identified in his Post. I also use electronically controlled muffs on top of the in-ear plugs. The unit I use is made by Peltor, their model Tactical 7S Classical.

I didn't realize you were using a Vias brake. Might want to go to another brand/type - as mentioned. You'll still want the hearing protection though, no matter what brake you're using!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Not to be too sarcastic, but you're kinda sensitive. I have a 260 with a vias brake and don't ever feel the blast from the brake. My 300RUM with a 'regular' CSR brake (with ports that go straight out, rather than angled back like their Muscle Brake). Don't feel any blast from it while shooting.

Those off to the sides...now they feel the blast.

Seems the bigger culprit here is the sound concussion that's getting you. As previously suggested, doubling up on hearing protection might help with you're 'sensitivity' ;)
No offense taken, Hi my name is Shane......I'm sensitive and I flinch. LOL!!

I haven't shot breaked rifles much in my life, just recently aquired two of them.
Whatever it was; sound concussion, air concussion, I was feeling it. After only 3 shots my groups went to crap because of it. It didn't seem to bother Chad, but he was wearing muffs. In fact, he had been shooting the rifle prior to me arriving even. The plugs I had in weren't the best obviously.

The Vias break used to have a reputation for being somewhat "quiet".? Kirby told me that it's an old design and there are far better brakes out on the market now. So perhaps when we re-barrel this to 22-250 Ackley I'll go with a different style, if I go with one at all. I've shot the barrels out of a few rifles in prarie dog towns in the last 20 years and never had a break on any of those.

Last edited by SBruce; 06-26-2011 at 11:56 PM.