Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

First try with my LR hunting bullet!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

First try with my LR hunting bullet!!

I leave on Wednesday for my first Montana elk hunt. I didn't had time or the money at 18 for a custom rifle, so I am using my browning a-bolt 300. Wsm which has always shot under moa at 100 yards! I picked up a 4-16x50mm PST MOA/MOA scope and began looking for bullets, I ended up choosing 180 grain nosler accubonds around 2811fps. Now at 100 yards it was an easy 3/4" group and for a hunting rifle it was great!! Now for long range I was hoping a little better. I immediately stepped back to 407 yards, dialed up 6.75 moa in some incredibly strong wind which I forgot to account for. My first 2 shots were 5"'s high and about and inch apart. The third shot the wind died and it landed 5"'s high and right above center.

Next 3 shots same thing happened, I dropped down to 6.5 moa and first two were about 1.5" apart and third shot wind picked up and I was right above center again! Minus the wind I was fairly impressed for a factory hunting rifle!! Minus wind of course. I backed It up too 550 and squeezed off three more shots. This group was about just over 4"'s. I was extremely pleased! I think I have a winning combination here for my hunt Wednesday!!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: First try with my LR hunting bullet!!

Sounds like your ready! Your only a few months older than me, so i know what your going through financially, same problems here so many nice toys, so little money!

Don't forget to dial that windage in montana!!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

You guys and your money troubles, just wait! Add a wife and kids to a serious LR hunting addiction and you'll redefine broke
Good luck to ya, and we expect some pics of some dead elk

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
You guys and your money troubles, just wait! Add a wife and kids to a serious LR hunting addiction and you'll redefine broke
Good luck to ya, and we expect some pics of some dead elk
+1

Yep... and then they go off to college and want to have their own expensive hobbies such as a-bolts and elk hunts!!

Happy hunting!!!
Richard
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on that!

See how raising 7 of the little suckers.

5 daughters = 5 custom rifles for each of the weddings.

Boys are less expensive.....