Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,248
Re: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

Is that detachable mag going to allow you to load your bullets to the lands or is it not gonna reach?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Hughes, CA
Posts: 45
Re: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

^ Depends allot on the bullet used. I can fit OAL of ~ 3.740 in the DBM and with 300gr SMK I measured ~ 3.710 to the lands. The 300gr Scenar's are very similar to the SMK's as well. I dont have any Berger OTM's to measure but I dont think I can get the ogive close to the lands and still have the cartridge fit in the DBM.

I can tell you the Factory OAL for 300gr Lapua Scenar's is 3.600" and they fly great and that's with about 0.1" jump. So it may not be necessary to load for a minimal 0.010" jump.
__________________
Savage 110FCP HS Precision 338 Lapua Mag
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MLR .1MIL
20MOA Ken Farrel Steel base, NF Ultralight Med rings
Atlas BT10 + Seekins sling rail
Karstan Cheek Rest
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mount vernon, OH
Posts: 670
Re: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
^ Depends allot on the bullet used. I can fit OAL of ~ 3.740 in the DBM and with 300gr SMK I measured ~ 3.710 to the lands. The 300gr Scenar's are very similar to the SMK's as well. I dont have any Berger OTM's to measure but I dont think I can get the ogive close to the lands and still have the cartridge fit in the DBM.

I can tell you the Factory OAL for 300gr Lapua Scenar's is 3.600" and they fly great and that's with about 0.1" jump. So it may not be necessary to load for a minimal 0.010" jump.
I need you to work up a load with h1000 and 300gr SMKS and Br2 primers. So next year when I buy one of my own I wont have too, I use h1000 in my .300WM be nice to use the same powder for two rifles. Loading 90+gr and 79+gr in two rifle ill be buying it my the truck load.
__________________



"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Hughes, CA
Posts: 45
Re: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
I need you to work up a load with h1000 and 300gr SMKS and Br2 primers. So next year when I buy one of my own I wont have too...

Haha, Send me some powder and projectiles and I'll get right on it

It will be some time before I do any testing with H1000, I'm starting with N570 and Retumbo with 300gr'ers. Educated guess, with 26" barrel, 1 in 9 twist, and 300gr projectiles I think Retumbo, N170 and N570 may be the way to go. Since I don't load for anything else that requires a H1000 like powder I'm not biased to one or another, just what ever seems to work best. I may even try US689 before H1000.

I've standardized on Federal primers for all my loads now and have enough to last me years.
__________________
Savage 110FCP HS Precision 338 Lapua Mag
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MLR .1MIL
20MOA Ken Farrel Steel base, NF Ultralight Med rings
Atlas BT10 + Seekins sling rail
Karstan Cheek Rest
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mount vernon, OH
Posts: 670
Re: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
Haha, Send me some powder and projectiles and I'll get right on it

It will be some time before I do any testing with H1000, I'm starting with N570 and Retumbo with 300gr'ers. Educated guess, with 26" barrel, 1 in 9 twist, and 300gr projectiles I think Retumbo, N170 and N570 may be the way to go. Since I don't load for anything else that requires a H1000 like powder I'm not biased to one or another, just what ever seems to work best. I may even try US689 before H1000.
Lol worth a shot. I am also gonna play with the idea of Molly coating to get more life out of the tube. What kind of press are you using? I have a Hornady but it's too short to seat bullets with my WM thinking of getting a CoAx or Rockchucker.
__________________



"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Hughes, CA
Posts: 45
Re: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

I have three, Hornady L&L Classic, Dillon 650XL and a new Redding T-7. You can use the Hornady for 338LM but you have to cant the cartage, inserting the bullet in to the seating die before sliding the rim in to the shell holder. Not a big deal really, but the T-7 has more headroom and just works great.
__________________
Savage 110FCP HS Precision 338 Lapua Mag
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MLR .1MIL
20MOA Ken Farrel Steel base, NF Ultralight Med rings
Atlas BT10 + Seekins sling rail
Karstan Cheek Rest
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mount vernon, OH
Posts: 670
Re: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart51 View Post
I have three, Hornady L&L Classic, Dillon 650XL and a new Redding T-7. You can use the Hornady for 338LM but you have to cant the cartage, inserting the bullet in to the seating die before sliding the rim in to the shell holder. Not a big deal really, but the T-7 has more headroom and just works great.
Thats what I do now with the WM. Prolly just deal and use the money for lapua brass.
__________________



"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: First outing with the Savage 110FCP 338Lapua
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First long range rifle, Savage 110FCP 338LM dstewart51 Gun Photos 10 12-10-2011 10:45 PM
PSE TAC 15 crossbow - first range outing Len Backus PSE TAC 15/15i Crossbow Hunting Forum 62 11-09-2010 09:27 PM
Range results- Savage 110fcp-k 300wm TNSHOOTER Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 1 11-21-2009 12:24 PM
Grandson's last outing... 41mag General Discussion 9 03-22-2007 11:44 AM
Wild R/Finder: First Outing Nodak7mm Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 10 03-24-2002 05:56 PM

Current Poll
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC