Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

First long range rifle: Savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: First long range rifle: Savage?

A good factory load is one you put together yourself with brass primers, powder and bullets you chose ...... You missed stating the caliber ?

Primers are currently an issue unless you can walk into your LGS and they have them sitting on the shelf. Powder is kinda difficult too, but not as ridiculous as a few months ago. Grafs.com has both loaded ammo and reloading stuff. Their shipping is pretty timely unless you include powder and primers.

Wideners has a lot less stuff than they used to and their website is harder to navigate, but I always check them anyway.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 PM

My apologies, 300 win mag. I would love to be able to reload but that is going to be down the road a bit. For the time being I would just like to find a factory load with MOA accuracy. Hopefully this is not unreasonable without having to spend $50+ per box. I will be saving the brass to reload when the time comes. Thank you for the reloading info.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
Sendero. where are you ? what are you shooting at??
i can't tell what you are shooting at. the only factory load i have tried shot in the ones. it was federal 180 tsx. the 210 bergers are what i shoot in my handloads
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
i can't tell what you are shooting at. the only factory load i have tried shot in the ones. it was federal 180 tsx. the 210 bergers are what i shoot in my handloads
Factory load that shoots in the one's? Really? Or in the one inch range? lol
Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwx View Post
My apologies, 300 win mag. I would love to be able to reload but that is going to be down the road a bit. For the time being I would just like to find a factory load with MOA accuracy. Hopefully this is not unreasonable without having to spend $50+ per box. I will be saving the brass to reload when the time comes. Thank you for the reloading info.
If the rifle is sound, I don't think you will have much trouble finding a 1MOA factory load, maybe better. Under $50/box, might be harder these days. You may have to test a few different types/brands of ammo. If you plan on shooting any kind of volume, you might reconsider reloading. 5-10 boxes of factory ammo gets you close to break even. iMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluebow View Post
Factory load that shoots in the one's? Really? Or in the one inch range? lol
the group i shot with my sendero ( jewell trigger, vais, leup m4 6.5-20) and federal factory ammo was in the ones. i have two 6ppc rifles . it was a good looking group.