Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

First long range rifle: Savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: First long range rifle: Savage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Both are good rifles. I'm partial to the Reminton action because of the upgrades capability that had been mentioned, but I have a few Savages that were very accurate right out of the box and have had no need for any upgrades. The Savage trigger is substantially better than the Remington's which will probably need replacement. If you could get your hands on a 300WM Milspec Remington, it's about the same price as the Sendaro, and a superb shooter. It appears to get special attention when put together. The barrel/action is excellent.
+1 Dont overlook the Rem 5r!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluebow View Post
+1 Dont overlook the Rem 5r!
The 5r was my reference to the Milspec.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwx View Post
My other Dilemma is the optic. I would like to be able to reach out to 1000-1500yds or so, would a 4-16x50 suffice or is a 6-24x50 necessary?
Most folks tend to focus on magnification range when choosing a scope for long range. I recommend that you go with a range of magnification that suits you best.

More important is the amount of internal adjustment available. Most scopes on the market only have about 40-60 MOA of total internal adjustment. In a best case scenario, that only leaves you with 20-30 MOA of adjustment. A 20 MOA canted picatinny rail can help you a bit, too. However, if you are serious about shooting ELR, you need to look for scopes that have closer to 100 MOA total internal adjustment. This requirement will narrow the field of suitable optics considerably. Choose your magnification range from there.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
The 5r was my reference to the Milspec.
Yes sir I was aware of that,,just letting the OP know I agreed with you 100%
Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

I have a sendaro and a 116 accu stock savage. Both shoot very well. I hand load. I have not shot any factory rounds in the sendaro as of now. But the first 3 to 5 shots out of my 300RUM in the sendaro I could put a nickel of the group. This was on a brand new barrel. I was completely amazed that it shot so well. The savage shoot .5 inches all day long. I have shot the savage out to 600 consistently. I am still in the development stage on the RUM. But I don't think you could go wrong with the 116 and the accu stock and accu trigger. I really like the accu trigger on my gun. You could save some money and spend it on good optics. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

The Rem 700 5R .300 WM is another VERY viable option. I would look into it or the Sendero, honestly.

I am honestly not a Savage fan, but that aside.....I have a 5R .308 and a Sendero 7mmSTW and both of them have shot 1/2 MOA since new, even with brand new barrels that weren't broken in yet.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks for all of the good advice! I ended up going with the savage 110 FCP HS Precision, Weaver 20 MOA rail, and the Vortex PST 6-24 FFP with Vortex match rings (Which should be here tomorrow!). I decided to mount everything myself with a Wheeler engineering scope mounting kit which came with the lap bars, etc. I just couldn't stomach paying a gunsmith $200 to mount a scope. Hopefully with some luck the wife will let me break it in this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent factory load?