Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsj View Post
I agree with u 100%. Most guys that have them probably shouldn't. I had mine for a total of 1/2 a day before I sent it to get it brake installed. I understand its loud but I deal with it. It now recoils less than my 270. My braked 6.5 Sherman is like shooting my 22-250.

Roy
I'm glad to took time to read my whole post instead of just jumping to conclusions or taking offense to what I said, which has happened before.

I know one local guy who owns a .338 Lapua, and I bet he'll shoot 20 rounds out of it, and be done with it, or he'll never shoot it, and trade it off for something else. Those are the kind of people I can't stand.

And you're right, MB's make a HUGE difference. My A-Bolt II 7RM has the BOSS system on it, and it kicks like a .243. Other than the deafening report when I'm hunting, it's the perfect whitetail rig.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Not talking a cartridge picture, I'm talking about a picture of the designed diagram with measurement numbers.

Like this...

Nice drawing. What program is that? The 270 has a longer neck and OAL than the 30-06 which is why Rich went with it. His original design was off the RWS 6.5x65 if memory serves me.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsj View Post
U should see what happens to a crow or a groundhog when they come into contact with a 168 vld at 3500 fps! Very interesting! Surprising enough all but one deer I've shot with the same load 10-350+yds have all exited. That total is close to 30 whitetails an antelope and 2 muleys!

Roy
I can just imagine

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Nice drawing. What program is that? The 270 has a longer neck and OAL than the 30-06 which is why Rich went with it. His original design was off the RWS 6.5x65 if memory serves me.
RCBS Load in the Cartridge Designer software.

I still don't know how to use anything else with their software other than the cartridge designer, but it works out pretty good. LMAO!

I see that now! My caliber would be best made off the .270 as well....The longer OAL would be handy.

Good call. Thanks Mark. I'd have to neck it up to a .30, then back down to a .284 for a false-shoulder for fire-forming.

Thanks for the heads-up, I completely had a brain-fart that the .270 had a longer OAL...

Would the brass grow that 0.031" to my .280 Bama brass' OAL from necking it down to .284 from .30 if I were to use a .30-06 case?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not talking a cartridge picture, I'm talking about a picture of the designed diagram with measurement numbers.

Like this...

It is basically a copy of mine except the chamber length is approx. .025" longer which means you will end up with a long void in your neck after you fireform!........Rich
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
RCBS Load in the Cartridge Designer software.

I still don't know how to use anything else with their software other than the cartridge designer, but it works out pretty good. LMAO!

I see that now! My caliber would be best made off the .270 as well....The longer OAL would be handy.

Good call. Thanks Mark. I'd have to neck it up to a .30, then back down to a .284 for a false-shoulder for fire-forming.

Thanks for the heads-up, I completely had a brain-fart that the .270 had a longer OAL...

Would the brass grow that 0.031" to my .280 Bama brass' OAL from necking it down to .284 from .30 if I were to use a .30-06 case?
I posted before I read this. I would encourage you to reconsider your overall length as there is no way you will end up with brass that long. This will cause isssues with carbon forming in the .030" of unused neck area and won't do anything for accuracy. You have lots of case capacity, but what are are really ending up with is a short neck (like the Gibbs). I went through all this and is why my design is 2.525" in length. Hope this helps!.....Rich
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

OOpsie! I just took another look at your design and realized my eyes aren't so good with the small print! It (is) a copy of mine with .013" shorter neck. Save yourself some time and expense and build a Sherman......Rich