Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

Re: First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Sounds like my own story! Id love to have a "big" 30 or 7mm,....to shoot what? Cant use rifle on whitetails in Ohio.....so here I sit with a boatload of medium sized calibers to kill..?? Pasture grizzlies;....attack racoons;....a black bird out of the tops of the trees on occasions...??
Not only do I shoot PA whitetails with my Rum and have so for yrs with the 168 vld's I now shoot them and groundhogs and crows with a 200 gr Accubond!!!! Why????? Cause I can and i want to and for no other reason! Most of the guns I own aren't out of necessity but pure want or as I tell my wife, need

Roy
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsj View Post
Not only do I shoot PA whitetails with my Rum and have so for yrs with the 168 vld's I now shoot them and groundhogs and crows with a 200 gr Accubond!!!! Why????? Cause I can and i want to and for no other reason! Most of the guns I own aren't out of necessity but pure want or as I tell my wife, need

Roy
Now that's a good attitude!

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Sounds like we designed almost the same cartridge.

I'll post mine up, if you'll post yours...I'm really curious to know how close they are now...
He did post his in post #7. It's a blown out AI style 270 Win with a 40* shoulder with almost the capacity of a WSM.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Sounds like my own story! Id love to have a "big" 30 or 7mm,....to shoot what? Cant use rifle on whitetails in Ohio.....so here I sit with a boatload of medium sized calibers to kill..?? Pasture grizzlies;....attack racoons;....a black bird out of the tops of the trees on occasions...??
For the record, this is NOT a crack at everyone who uses RUMs or big bore caliber....This is about the people who use them in my area ONLY.

We hunt deer with rifles. We're certainly allowed to down here...But after years of watching morons come into the gun store and buy a 300 RUM just to hunt whitetail deer with no more than a 200 yard shot available to them (I asked them, and they said 200 tops), because they didn't think their "old '06" would do the job, because they missed one, or put a bad shot on it and tracked it and never found it.

I learned that alot of those people buying the howitzers around my area are hugely overcompensating for something...Be it lack of manhood, brains, or abilities, that I am not sure of, but it is a lack of something... In my area, unless you're hunting out of town, or a gas or powerline you will never need something that big or powerful. In my area, most people could get by with a .257 Roberts if they had the skills for shot placement.

Me, I intentionally find the longest shot available on the property I hunt, and that is where I tend to setup shop. I know my capabilities, and 99% of the people I have always hunted with are greenfield hunters taking 150 yard shots on the long-end, and never hunting outside of the greenfields.

I'll sit on a powerline or a gas line and watch deer as far away as I care to.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Now that's a good attitude!
U should see what happens to a crow or a groundhog when they come into contact with a 168 vld at 3500 fps! Very interesting! Surprising enough all but one deer I've shot with the same load 10-350+yds have all exited. That total is close to 30 whitetails an antelope and 2 muleys!

Roy
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
For the record, this is NOT a crack at everyone who uses RUMs or big bore caliber....This is about the people who use them in my area ONLY.

We hunt deer with rifles. We're certainly allowed to down here...But after years of watching morons come into the gun store and buy a 300 RUM just to hunt whitetail deer with no more than a 200 yard shot available to them (I asked them, and they said 200 tops), because they didn't think their "old '06" would do the job, because they missed one, or put a bad shot on it and tracked it and never found it.

I learned that alot of those people buying the howitzers around my area are hugely overcompensating for something...Be it lack of manhood, brains, or abilities, that I am not sure of, but it is a lack of something... In my area, unless you're hunting out of town, or a gas or powerline you will never need something that big or powerful. In my area, most people could get by with a .257 Roberts if they had the skills for shot placement.

Me, I intentionally find the longest shot available on the property I hunt, and that is where I tend to setup shop. I know my capabilities, and 99% of the people I have always hunted with are greenfield hunters taking 150 yard shots on the long-end, and never hunting outside of the greenfields.

I'll sit on a powerline or a gas line and watch deer as far away as I care to.
I agree with u 100%. Most guys that have them probably shouldn't. I had mine for a total of 1/2 a day before I sent it to get it brake installed. I understand its loud but I deal with it. It now recoils less than my 270. My braked 6.5 Sherman is like shooting my 22-250.

Roy
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
He did post his in post #7. It's a blown out AI style 270 Win with a 40* shoulder with almost the capacity of a WSM.
Not talking a cartridge picture, I'm talking about a picture of the designed diagram with measurement numbers.

Like this...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.