Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First custom rifle is here and i think its a keeper!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsj View Post
MontanaRifleman..... please tell me more about the 8x68!!! Any pics of the case as well?

Roy
Here ya go.

Norma USA Reloading Brass 8x68S

For actual dimensions log into Ammoguide.

Rich, I'm not sure RWS makes it anymore. I couldn't find anyone selling it, in stock or out of stock. In fact I could hardly fins any RWS rilfe brass anywhere. Midway does not list any.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Bronze Member

How difficult would it be to neck the 8x68 down to .284?

Roy
Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Roy
Not very, you'll probably want to do in several steps with a bushing die. You could get one from Whidden. You might have to do a little turning and reaming when done, but I necked down a 300 Dakota case to 6.5 and it doesn't look like it needs turning to me. But I definitely think reaming them after would be a good idea.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

The 8x68 has approx. a .299" neck length. If you simply necked it to .284" with no other changes, you might have a little shorter neck than you want. If you changed the shoulder angle to 40 degrees, you would gain some neck length back. The bottom line is, if you didn't get into the case shoulder with the new neck, you shouldn't have to ream but just neck turn......rich
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Roy
This easy.....

Another one of my new designs that's destined to be a masterpiece... I call it, the 7mm Malum.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
The 8x68 has approx. a .299" neck length. If you simply necked it to .284" with no other changes, you might have a little shorter neck than you want. If you changed the shoulder angle to 40 degrees, you would gain some neck length back. The bottom line is, if you didn't get into the case shoulder with the new neck, you shouldn't have to ream but just neck turn......rich
Rich, According to Ammoguide, the 6x68 has a .328 neck. Necking down will shorten it a bunch if the 15* shoulder is not sharpened.

I suppose if you didn't get any shoulder into the neck, reaming might not be necessary, but I think I might to, to remove any irregularities after sizing down. You know more about it than me.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Rich, According to Ammoguide, the 6x68 has a .328 neck. Necking down will shorten it a bunch if the 15* shoulder is not sharpened.

I suppose if you didn't get any shoulder into the neck, reaming might not be necessary, but I think I might to, to remove any irregularities after sizing down. You know more about it than me.
I was reading some really fine metric print! Could have been my eyes, or my metric to std. conversion At any rate, I haven't done the math but I think you would still end up with an acceptable shoulder?.....Rich