Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

First Aftermarket Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: First Aftermarket Barrel

I have sent actions to Hart, Krieger, and Bartlein and let them perform the entire rebarrel process including action truing. Their services are reasonable and all of the rifles shoot great. Turnaround time was no different than most gunsmiths who are worth using.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
have you ever used BERGARA?
They use the "savage" style nut, so all that's required are basic tools and go/no go gages. The bbl's are flawless with mirror smooth bore, and are much easier to do than all the lathe (which I have and use) work.
I have not used Bergara. So, I can't say one way or the other. I wasn't aware (or had forgotten) they had the barrel nut option. That's a nice option for do-it-yourself-ers that don't own a Savage.

If all you want to do is replace a barrel and want to do it yourself, then that seems like an option. And, if your action is pretty true, then you might get excellent results.

However, to be assured of good results, you need tools to measure and attention to detail.

On the other hand, I do beleive that even the best tools in the wrong hands will underperform.

You get what you pay for. (or, maybe not)

JMO
-- richard
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

I appreciate the input. I am understanding that all of the uppercuts companies are about equal then kind of a ford chevy thing not really any difference. I had looked into the hart deal with letting them do the chambering and all. I definitely want best results possible. I'm not spending all this money for a half ass rifle. what is the average turn around time for an operation like that. Thanks for the help