Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fire lapping results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: Fire lapping results

You don't reload for 308? I'd throw some cheap 150 grain flat base bullets in front of 45 grains of Varget and shoot it. Most 308's will behave real nicely at 100 yards with that for initial testing. Don't think I'd waste a box of Superperformance on a finicky rifle while trying to sort things out. I'd look at that scope real close too...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
your using the tubbs ff bullets for some sort of accuracy benchmark? Not trying to come accros like an @$$ but those bullets would be best shot at a dirt berm, if you want to do a comparison you need to do a before and after with the same loads you used initially. What ever you saw from the Tubbs ff kit means exactly nothing since your not going to continue shooting abrasive bullets.
i know in the directions it said not to pay attention to group sizes. i am just going by the drastic improvements i found during the process. i know how well it shot new with factory loads, (federal 150NBTs or winchester supreme 150s). and how it was shooting when i gave up on it. . now that i am finished with the tubs bullets i will shoot the factory 165s i have now. and go from there
Old 11-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
You don't reload for 308? I'd throw some cheap 150 grain flat base bullets in front of 45 grains of Varget and shoot it. Most 308's will behave real nicely at 100 yards with that for initial testing. Don't think I'd waste a box of Superperformance on a finicky rifle while trying to sort things out. I'd look at that scope real close too...
i have two other 308s in the safe. the superformance is just something i have in my ammo case. i have whats left from the pound of imr4064 i used for the tubbs load. i will get some bullets to load up for this...

the scope worked fine on my AR, before that it was on my 7400 .308 and before that a 7400 -06..

i had a 2-7 Nikon monarch on top on this weatherby when i first got it. it shot good then. and it was the scope i was using when i notice the lack of performance.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

What kind of load did you originally shoot in this gun ? 190gr bullets are pretty heavy for a 308 and I am sure they were chosen to provide lots of lapping surface and thats about it. Having said that, beware that it is the throat that is getting most of the "lapping" and when you do shoot some of the lighter stuff it could have a negative impact. Hard to judge the effect at all with the charged bullets since they were never intended for accuracy.

What did you try prior to this ? It can be impressive what you can get out a bore using nothing more than copper remover and bore shine (non embedding compound). Lots of sweat equity involved (you need a good quality cleaning rod and guide). Unless you fired corrosive ammo and then didn't clean it, you really should only have surface oxidation. The fire lapping can get way from you pretty quick and then by the sounds of it you may have to go to the factory for a rebarrel since the bolt configuration sounds pretty unique.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Keep in mind that with each set your shooting bullets coated with a different grit, and your going to see different pressures, harmonics ect. So what you see with them you can't repeat with the next set, or any other load. See what happens from here on out since that's what your going to be using repeatedly and living with. I've seen both accuracy and ease of cleaning improve with this kit, I believe you'll be happy on your next trip to the range.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Quit using color on your targets. Use black and white - no kidding. Any other color than black and white allows the edges of the color to bleed into the next - welcome to human eyes that can see color. Under magnification, it is worse, especially with mid to lower quality scopes.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

I did forget to motion that I have used a coper salvant when I was cleaning the bore before I tryed the tubbs kit.. The patches were coming out dark blue. I continued until the patches were coming out white. I would only leave the bore wet with the coper solvant for a minuet or two before pushing dri patches down. I followed that with hoppes9. All cleaning was done breach to muzzle with a one peace fiber glass rod.

I did shoot groups with the rifle after cleaning and results were still unsatisfactory.