Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fire lapping results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Silver Member

Fire lapping results

Below are the targets from fire lapping my .308win. Took me a week to finsh. I cleaned the bore spotless between each 10 shot string.. After the first 4 steps I was loosing hope and ready to right off this rifle.. I just finished the last ten shot sting. Besides the first clean bore shot and the 2nd to last shot. ( I know I flinched) there are prity much in on big hole. Rifle specs are. .308 1:12 twist 18" sporter. It's the weatherby markv carbine. The load used was 40.5g imr4064 pushing 190g tubbs final finsh bullets. All groups are at 100 yards.

The three on the right was at 25 yards. I was making adjustments to get in paper.

I am fairly happy with the results.. My
Next move is to replace the factory plastic stock..
Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fire lapping results

Well, your group size definitely shrunk!.......Rich
Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Does your scope have an AO or side focus ? Any scope adjustments between groups ? I would return any rifle that grouped like that. Howa is a popular brand for value minded people, the coyote hunting crowd seems to use them on TV quite a bit. It is very much like the Remington 700.

Did you check the tightness of the action screws ? Do you know whether the barrel is properly free floated ? How is the trigger ? What scope and bases are you using ?

I got a Savage 12 243 Win with a steel one piece scope base from Warne and I tried a 3-15 scope from Minox which had neither AO nor SF. I was unable to get groups less than 4" because of the parallax issue that the scope had at 100 yards, which is what the parallax is usually set to at the factory. Returned the Minox scope and got a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 FFP and it shot a 1" group the first time out.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

If you were aiming at that big orange circle at 100 I'd say you still got some work to do. What adjustments did you make? I got rid of a Ruger M77 MK II .308 that shot like that. Couldn't ever get it to behave. It's even more frustrating when you are shooting a pretty forgiving round like the .308 at 100 and can't get easy, consistent results. Good luck with it.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

a little history on the gun. i bought i new in 2003. it is a weatherby MarkV 6lug bolt.with 54*bolt lift. it shot great. i never measured the groups, but 3 shots were inside an inch or better. i deployed in 03 for a year and for one reason or another my safe was never opened. this was the only barrel effected. looking down the bore you could see ruff spots and after a lot of cleaning it wouldnt shoot like it did new.

i just recently got into reloading for my 243 and came across tubs final finish. i thought id try it before i bought a barrel for an over haul

in the first target i was making adjustments to get on paper..shooting at 25 yards. after the first sting all other shots where taken at 100. i did make one more adjustment. +2MOA. i made that adjustment after the 5 shot group. no adjustments were made for the last string of 10.

the first shot was a cold clean bore, im guessing that one was the highest. and the low left hit was all me. i flinched. that was number 9..

the scope used was an old(1970s)im guessing 3x9 red field illuminator rang finder, with ballistic turret for elevation. weaver rings and bases..the action screws are tight. i didnt separate the action from the stock during the process.

i will clean the bore again and shoot some factory loads for groups. i have a box of 165g SST superformace to try out. if that shoots well i will start loading 175g SMKs and go from there
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

i had lost hope for this rifle and was planing on an over haul. since im seeing improvements i will continue. why i see it is if i cant get it back i am only out a little time and a little money in bullets. i will post results as i shoot. good or bad
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

your using the tubbs ff bullets for some sort of accuracy benchmark? Not trying to come across like an @$$ but those bullets would be best shot at a dirt berm, if you want to do a comparison you need to do a before and after with the same loads you used initially. What ever you saw from the Tubbs ff kit means exactly nothing since your not going to continue shooting abrasive bullets.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe