Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Fire Lapping a Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fire Lapping a Barrel

i would not want to shoot against kevin or david. i use jb's from time to time . i do not firelapp.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin, when at Sierra, did you ever use any of Jim Hull's "Martin's Mustard" bore cleaner?

It was made with some special oil and enough extra fine yellow colored dental pumice to be as thick as partially dried paint. Finest non-embedding abrasive known to man at the time and used by dental hygienists to clean teeth. It sure would remove copper jacket fouling as well as just about anything else that gets inside a rifle barrel coating the steel. Martin told me that if you used it for a few hours lapping the leade of the rifling, it would smooth out a lot of the slight roughness left by the reamer. He finished his talk with me saying that smoothing out the leade to be as smooth as the lands and grooves would last for a couple hundred rounds in a .308 Win barrel; after that, erosion from burning powders would rough it up all over again.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

No, I think we'd probably moved on to J-B by that point, and it was a regular treatment every couple hundred rounds or so. Same idea, though; pumice based abrasive that breaks down after just a few strokes. I think this stuff is perfectly fine, so long as it's used with some discretion. Some barrel makers warn against even this, and that's certianly their perogotive.

Jim also used to use stainless steel bore brushes, too, but only as an absolute final resort on barrels that were all but gone. Occaisionally revived them enough to get another couple hundred rounds out of them, and if it didn't, he wasn't out anything.

I'd still have to put the fire lapping kits in the same category, and yes, I know of a couple of barrel makers who specifically state that using these products will void the warranty on their barrels, You lap it, and whatever the results, it's now your problem, not theirs. I'll pass.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
i would not want to shoot against kevin or david. i use jb's from time to time . i do not firelapp.

Clearly, you wouldn't be saying this if you'd witnessed the train wreck I layed down at St. Louis Benchrest's Mid Range match last week! New AR-10 and a seriously steep learning curve to be done with the new rifle!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
If it can't damage a barrel . . . how can it help a barrel?
It won't help or hurt a barrel that doesn't need it.
It can damage a bore if used incorrectly/excess, -as everything can.

In good bores:
Where JB is useful to manage carbon(the ultimate killer of bores), Tubbs is useful to dress up lands and prolong a good lap. You don't fire the whole hail mary kit or anything like that. You just break in and run a few every few hundred rounds.

In bad bores:
Tubbs is better(IMO) at knocking out accuracy robbing restrictions and roughness, where it's a problem, than is practical with JB bore paste. You might use the whole kit here, but I've yet to hear of a barrel shooting worse after Tubb's FF. Have you?
All I see out there are reports of improvements, and baseless ramblings of naysayers.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

All those naysaying barrel makers seem to disagree with you. Call them baseless if you wish, but I'll hazard a guess that most of them have a tad more experience with the rifled barrel than most of us, and probably know what does and doesn't work. I have yet to see or hear from a single barrel maker who recommends this (fire lapping), and several who very specifically state that using this will void their warranty. Might want to talk to some, and listen to what they have to say.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Don't those barrel makers run that same type of abrasive thru the barrel when they make it?