Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fire Lapping a Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Fire Lapping a Barrel

The One thing I do know is that the last thing I would do to a new Krieger, or any other quality barrel, would be to fire lap it with the tubbs system. Maybe after a few thousands rounds down it when accuracy has fallen it couldn't hurt, gonna need re-barreling anyway.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Suit yourself
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Mike, I could not bring myself to doing anything to NEW a high end barrel besides shooting and cleaning it.
Besides, what would you gain in difference between fire lapping and just shooting 20 or so shots with cleaning?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

First, I would never consider using abrasive bullets in a bore I have never fired without knowing how clean it shoots. seems to me if it's a good throat and bore it would need no such treatment. Next, why do it if if shoot and clean break-in does the job? The thought of putting abrasive bullets down a custom barrel makes me cringe. I would only consider it in a factory barrel that fouled badly. Wouldn't even bother with a worn out barrel.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

I'm in agreement that brake-in is brake-in regardless.
My point is that Tubb's FF does not hurt a thing, and it is useful.

When you wholesale declare detriment to abrasives it seems like you're overlooking the fact that the best BR shooters, with the best barrels, regularly use JB bore paste.
Doesn't hurt a thing, and it is useful.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Seems to me that broke in custom barrels shoot well enough without any further treatment.

I wouldn't use JB paste... no need to as I use Bore Tech. I have used Montana Xtreme Copper cream which is a mild abrasive, in a very limited way, during factory barrel break-in... maybe a few strokes after the first 4 or 5 rounds down the tube.

I wouldn't compare JB paste to Tubbs bullets... 2 completely different processes.

Abrasive bullets will lap down the throat... the question is how much and how much life will it cost the barrel? I wouldn't try it until I had some empirical data to judge by, especially if it really isn't necessary which is the bottom line.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I don't know about other recipes & methods of FFing, but I do know correct use of Tubbs will not harm ANY barrel.
If it can't damage a barrel . . . how can it help a barrel?