Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Fire Lapping a Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 AM

Fire Lapping a Barrel

I have a 300 RUM that may be a candidate for it and I am looking for some shooters with first hand experience fire lapping a barrel and the results they saw.
My opinion has always been to not do it but this rifle has been a little frustrating. It's factory Remington barrel that has less than 100 rounds through it and copper fouls badly after only three to four shots, enough so that accuracy noticeably drops. Clean cold bore and second shot accuracy is very good and consistent. I had it bore scoped and it looks OK from end to end just not great.
Thanks for any help or advice.

Last edited by br45zy; 04-24-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: Fire Lapping a Barrel

I did my 30-338 that has a tight bore, .298. The barrel was rough as a cob, it shot well enough but was a bear to clean.
I used the Tubbs kit and all the bullets in it, even followed the instructions
It now shoots the same load at about 200fps less and does not foul the first 18". The remainder has so little fouling that just a few patches will clean it right up.
Accuracy is noticeably better with far less fliers.
Cliff
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

I would have thought it would shoot faster....
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br45zy View Post
I have a 300 RUM that may be a candidate for it and I am looking for some shooters with first hand experience fire lapping a barrel and the results they saw.
My opinion has always been to not do it but this rifle has been a little frustrating. It's factory Remington barrel that has less than 100 rounds through it and copper fouls badly after only three to four shots, enough so that accuracy noticeably drops. Clean cold bore and second shot accuracy is very good and consistent. I had it bore scoped and it looks OK from end to end just not great.
Thanks for any help or advice.
I personally Never recommend fire lapping is a last resort because it laps the throat and does very
little for the rest of the barrel.

The fact that the barrel shoots good the first couple of shots tells me that you need to do a good
break in.

Do a shoot, and clean after every shot for 20+ rounds and you will start seeing an improvement
on the fouling issue. It takes time and patience but is it worth the effort and improves the entire
bore not just the throat.

As you shoot, you should start to feel the improvement in the bore and the number of patches
to come clean should drop to 1 or 2.

It is not unusual for factory barrels to take more than a custom barrel so don't take a short cut
and start firing 2 or 3 shots and then cleaning. The purpose of the shoot and clean method is to
shoot 1 bullet in a clean bore and let it smooth the barrel out evenly end to end.

Fire lapping enlarges the bore at the throat and reduces bullet fit causing lower pressure and velocity.
hand lapping can do this if it is over done breaking it in only wears the high spots and fills in the
machine marks left from the rifling process.

Some custom barrels are very tight even after lapping because the barrel maker allowed for this
and reamed and rifled the barrel .000001 undersized.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

I did the Tubbs thingy on a 300 Win. and never noticed any difference one way or the other.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have done 3 rifles and am waiting on the bullets to do it to a 4th. The first 2 I did it on were Winchester model 70 super shadows, one in 270wsm and the other in 7wsm. and it made an amazing difference on both, the cleaning became very very easy and both were tack drivers afterword. the last one I did was a 700cdl in 300 win, the barrel wasn about average on fouling but it shot like crap, i did a good break in, had it bedded recrowned checked mounts and scope etc... ran lapping bullets in it and no change.. I have a 700 in 375 rum that is doing exactly what your rifle does. it shoots awesome for 3-4 shots then it fouls horribly, pressure starts to come up... its horrible. so im going to run some final finish bullets in it and see what happens... overall i do think its kind of a last resort in ways but i truly believe they can make a world of difference

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 04-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

br45zy, I've done over 100 break-ins on factory bbls with the Tubbs Final Finish bullets. It works amazingly well every time, if done properly. First of all, buy the TMS kit which consists of the same grit as the #3s and #4s out of the Final finish kit. You don't need the coarse #1s and #2s unless you have the worst factory bbl on the planet. I have only used the # 2s on two bbls ever!! The TMS kit contains 50 bullets so you can get two break-ins from each kit. Use a light charge of RL22, For a 300 RUM ,about 79 grns if the bullets are 175s and 78gr if they are 190s or 76 grs of H4831.Seat the bullets with plenty of jump to the rifling ( .050 or more ). Always shoot the first shot over a light layer of Kroil in the bbl. Shoot 5 then clean spotlessly ,lightly swab with Kroil and shoot five more and so on until done. It will be cleaning in a couple of patches by the last cleaning. Never fire a tubbs bullet down the bore if the bbl is more than just warm to the touch. Just blasting away without cooling the bbl is why most people think that the tubbs kit doesn't work, or takes out your throat!! I have done more than 50 RUMs and they always show great improvement in SDs, ES and accuracy and it takes 2 more grs of powder to get back to the previous max pressure but with increased velocity. Don't let anyone tell you the don't work or that they harm your bbl because if you do it right you will be happy!! ---- RHB