Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Finicky rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Finicky rifles

My marlin xl7 in 270 is "that" way. It'll pitch tight groups for my brother and not for me some days, the next day it won't shoot well at all. The next day it's pitching .5 moa or less. It think it's the plastic stock or an easily fouled barrel, but I'm working with it till I figure it out because it's a gift from my wife for Christmas. It shoots better when it's cold out, so it has to be barrel or stock.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
In addition, these Savages are very picky with regard to screw torque. I've also bedded mine (which is much more difficult than bedding a regular bolt action rifle) to help and that seemed to make a difference in repeatability.
Amen to the screw torque issue! The rear action screw just seems to back itself right out after a box or two of ammo.

My gun strings out vertically over 2 inches unless I tighten the mother loving crap out of the action screws, but I'm all out of LocTite right now so I can't really fix that problem yet.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskShooter View Post
Amen to the screw torque issue! The rear action screw just seems to back itself right out after a box or two of ammo.

My gun strings out vertically over 2 inches unless I tighten the mother loving crap out of the action screws, but I'm all out of LocTite right now so I can't really fix that problem yet.
Finger nail polish! great thing is if there's a woman around you have an unending supply of just about any color you want
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Silver Member

By the way, the screw torque issue can be relieved somewhat by placing a fairly large washer over the base of the rear screw so it doesn't just dig into the stock and loosen up.

BUT it does look a bit ugly.....
Old 09-26-2014, 09:24 PM

You mentioned difference in groups, if you stand or sit at bench, if you where glasses, make sure they are on straight, when sitting at bench, with ear protection on, you can move your glasses slightly, that will affect, any one with a stigmatism.
One thing I do, at the range, is bring a second gun, which I know, is a tack driver, after I have problems with the first gun [main reason for range visit] shoot it, if it preforms great, then is 80 percent, gun not shooting well, other 20 percent, is how it fits you, trigger pull, barrel to stock mounting, only my method. [ the sun plays a part also.