Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Finicky rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Finicky rifles

I have a problem with my .22 WMR... kinda sorta.

My Savage 93G is just one of those rifles that must be shot PERFECTLY in order to shoot any kind of group. I tried shooting at 50 yards today, and I just couldn't get it under 1.5 inches, which is ridiculous because I was just using the same rifle and ammo a month ago to nail gophers/blackbirds/ground squirrels out to about 140 yards every shot.

After a lot of frustration, and trial-and-error I finally seemed to "get in my groove" and put 4 shots in .11", of course I pulled the fifth to .5".

Now, I know I wasn't flinching THAT badly before, because I had a few failures to fire and even then my crosshair never moved more than 1/4" when I squeezed the trigger, but when I was flinching on live rounds the bullet would often be off by almost 2". Maybe a bit much lock time I guess.

This rifle ALWAYS challenges me, but when I stay consistent and follow through, it rewards me with some of the best groups I've ever seen from a rimfire.

Anybody else have a finicky little moron of a gun that just loves to make fun of you?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Finicky rifles

Are you shooting the cheap ammo or the good stuff. I know from experience that the cheap stuff can shoot anywhere from good to horrible depending on its mood that day
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXshooter View Post
Are you shooting the cheap ammo or the good stuff. I know from experience that the cheap stuff can shoot anywhere from good to horrible depending on its mood that day

It wasn't the ammo, I know that the accuracy problems today were all my fault. I've shot every kind of ammo through this gun, and if I don't do my part it kicks my ass every time.

I was using Winchester Supreme 34 grain hollowpoints today, but the gun's real favorite is very expensive and rare 33 grain Remington Accutips. Both loads will do one-hole at 50 yards when I focus, focus, focus!!!!!

The gun absolutely hates CCI TNT ammo and Winchester Dynapoints (DO NOT get me started on those loads).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Ha I know exactly what you mean with those rounds I tend to shoot the winchesters and they kill the feeder wire eatin squirrels pretty good.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

My 22 mag would shoot groups less than half an inch at 100 yards with the 30 grain V Max loads but only when I was shooting prone with a rear bag. If I'd go to the range and sit at a concrete bench my groups would open up to around 1.5 inches. After LOTS of tinkering I discovered the problem, the gun liked to be held TIGHT! If I would pull the gun into my shoulder really tight when shooting from the bench I could get my groups back down to the half inch mark.

When I read Broz's thread about getting a solid rear rest to help with your long range groups I immediately thought of this situation with my 22 mag. When I would lay down prone with the back bag, it would lock the rifle in super tight to my shoulder and would allow it to shoot to its full potential.

The weird thing is that I've done the same thing with all my rifles and none of them have seemed to care besides that 22 mag.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

a savage 17hmr. will shoot consistant .5 inch groups at 100 yards if i do my part if not 1-1.5 inch groups.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

I had to try 6 or 7 brands/types of ammo in my Savage 17HMR to find the best one, though 2 or 3 of them shoot quite well. In addition, these Savages are very picky with regard to screw torque. I've also bedded mine (which is much more difficult than bedding a regular bolt action rifle) to help and that seemed to make a difference in repeatability.