Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Fine Scratch on Land -how worried should I be?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Fine Scratch on Land -how worried should I be?

Just got my 308 back from having it threaded for a suppressor.

Looking into the muzzle with a light I have spotted a fine scratch across the 12 o,clock land about 0.1in in from the muzzle.

Even if it turns out to have no immediate effect on accuracy, will this now cause the top land to copper quickly?

- this is quadruply frustrating since I won't be able to test the rifle for a couple of months due to an upcoming 'business' trip!

How worried should I be?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:26 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Fine Scratch on Land -how worried should I be?

I own a Hawkeye borescope and last year with its sharp edged tip I scratched the lands on my barrel rifle within its first 2 inches. Now I am much more careful with the borescope. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

These scratches were several in number and fairly long. This did affect coppering and accuracy and I cut off the end of the barrel and re-crowned to solve the problem. How long is this single "fine scratch" on your barrel?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Brown Dog,

Only real way to know is to shoot the rifle and see. I have seen some pretty scratched up bores shoot well while others that looked nearly perfect with the exception of a small scratch produce inconsistant grouping.

Only way to know is to shoot the rifle.

It is never a good idea to have a scratch near the muzzle as it will certainly increase the fouling to some degree.

Since it is only .100" inside the crown it will be a simply task to shorten and recrown to remove the scratch, possible not even having to set the suppressor threads back any.

Just shoot her and see what she does. At longer ranges, +200 yards will reveal more accurately how the rifle shoots so stretch things out a bit and see what happened.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Bronze Member

field testing is the only way to know for sure if it will effect the fouling and accuracy of your gun. But more then likely the suppressor will effect the accuracy of the weapon more then the scratch. I have suppressors on my
M-16A1, and on a 30 whisper, as well as a Ruger 22 pistol and 10-22, I have different loads for shooting with suppressor and without, without is always more accurate. I would be more worried if the crown had a burr.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

Len, Kirby,

Thanks for your rapid responses.

I must say I was hoping for 'it'll be alright' type stuff but suspected it wouldn't be!

Even if it shoots it'll now copper badly; thought so, but I needed to hear it from someone else!

Two months until I can do anything about this -FRUSTRATING!

Not a Happy Camper!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

Boomer,
Apologies, busy typing while you posted. The suppressor I've had fitted is actually touted as improving accuracy -Reflex T8- but clearly that assumes unmarked rifling!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

I don't know if this will comfort you but I bought a factory Sendero and after I got it home I noticed it had a cluster of what looked to be pin pricks inside the bore about 1/8", I thought it was done for sure but when I shot it it would hold 1/3 - 1/2 MOA groups w/handloads all day long. It did foul a fair bit but it wasn't horrible.