Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Final finish daved tubbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 AM

Final finish daved tubbs

who has used the tubbs final finish daved and had results?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Final finish daved tubbs

Used it on my Rem 700 Ti in 7-08. This was the 50 bullet, load your own. Had visible chatter marks in the barrel and throat area. After treatment, virtually gone, accuracy seems to have improved, cleaning is much easier and faster now. Load velocity seems to have decreased as others have noted. Shooting 42 gr of IMR 4064, 140 Sierra Pro Hunter, 2660 fps, essentially a one hole group. Will try some other powders just to compare.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

I shot 5 rounds through a Hart barrel right after I got my last build back from my smith. Couldn't tell you much it improved accuracy. The gun is extremely accurate.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

I Tubb's TMS it for break-in on aftermarket barrels, and FF for factory barrels.
It does work really well, and leaving a finish in the bore that reduces copper fouling.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

I used it on a factory Remington 700 308 win. with a heavy barrel. The system removed some visual tool marks, made it easier to clean, and gained me 25 fps in average velocity. I don't really have any complaints about the system, and I am going to use it on another rifle soon. If using this system make sure to clean the bore to bare steel before starting and in between compounds. I used Bore Tech Eliminator to achieve this (in my experience sweets wouldn't do it). I am sure that experiences will vary from barrel to barrel but it worked well for me. I didn't gain or lose accuracy, but the benefits of velocity gained and easier cleaning was well worth it.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

I used them on a Savage 12FVSS in 270 WSM a couple years ago. It shot poor before. It shot poor after.

Sent the gun back to Savage and they re-barreled it. So perhaps it truly was a dud barrel.

Suffice to say, don't expect a miracle......
Old 01-31-2014, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

I have used both the TMS and the FF systems. The TMS in my pac-nor to break in and the FF in factory guns. I know that they cleaned very easily after finishing the procedure. They helped my 7 SAUM factory gun tighten up its groups and the others were hard to say. The pac-nor has always shot bug holes with whatever I feed it and it cleans with two patches of CR-10.

Reuben