Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

In Field Billastic Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

In Field Billastic Calculator

What would be an inexpensive Hand Held I could download my Nightforce Disk onto an use in the field hunting where there is no cell service. I'don't have a cellphone an don't want to pay a monthly service either. Not sure what's compatable with Nightforce software, & somewhat Computor challended.

Thanks

Last edited by muleman1953; 07-22-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: In Field Billastic Calculator

I picked up a used Dell Axium off of ebay for $55.00 It came with a charger and leather case . It does not require any monthly fee or contract yahoo !!! . If I can do it anybody can. Just make sure you get a fairly new model so you can get replacement batteries for it when needed.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Take bigbuck's advice and get the Dell. I tried the Palm pilot and wish I could replace the batteries when out for a week.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

What model Dell Axium did you get? What program were you able to load? Will this accept Nightforce software?
What about buying a Touch iPod without the phone?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman1953 View Post
What model Dell Axium did you get? What program were you able to load? Will this accept Nightforce software?
What about buying a Touch iPod without the phone?
If you have an iPod Touch, get the Shooter app: Shooter - Ballistics Calculator for iOS and Android. If you have an Android phone or Iphone, get the same for it for $10 If you really do shoot regularly beyond 1500 yds, as this subforum is for, put Bryan Litz's $30 new program on an Android phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...FsbGlzdGljcyJd

These are the probably the two most highly respected ballistics programs on this site. Last I heard the Nightforce software was merely a brand adapted version of Exbal, which is 'old school' at this point, but still quite functional for much shooting. I still use it on a Dell Axim X30, but will be switching to Shooter or Litz's program (when he gets it ready for iOS) the second the next Iphone comes out.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I picked up a used Dell Axium off of ebay for $55.00 It came with a charger and leather case . It does not require any monthly fee or contract yahoo !!! . If I can do it anybody can. Just make sure you get a fairly new model so you can get replacement batteries for it when needed.
Hope this helps.

So using the Dell Axium for about $55.00 what program do I use, where do I get it, how is it loaded in to the Dell Axium? thanks