Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Federal Claims these are the same bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Federal Claims these are the same bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
First off, IMO, it's a bit crass (on your part) to label Federal as crap across the board because that is a false assumption based entirely on your ONE experience.

Secondly, they could have been an 8AM monday morning first run and the operator was nursing a Sunday football hangover, in other words, the human factor has to be weighed in.

I'm not condoning Federal's comments but as an employer, Federal will stand behind their employees, just as your employer will stand behind you, thats how it works.

I'm not sure they are Barnes (as Riley assumes). The only way to ascertain that is a pull and section but they appear to me to be Sierra's in the modified Match King flavor....and Sierra offers them in a moly coating.

They certainly bear little resemblence to your original pill.

Having said that, I would have returned them immediately without ever igniting any. Physical comparison dictates the difference. Thats something I've done in the past (returned mis-labelled rounds). Wasn't Federals but another major player.

To actually use them is admitting your acceptance of them, whatever they are......
Well I guess that I could have drove 100 miles out of the BC wilderness in the middle of my hunting trip to return them. After all, gasoline and my time off work really aren't worth much. In other words my hunting trip was more important than returning $100 worth of Federal ammunition...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Well I guess that I could have drove 100 miles out of the BC wilderness in the middle of my hunting trip to return them. After all, gasoline and my time off work really aren't worth much. In other words my hunting trip was more important than returning $100 worth of Federal ammunition...
Might have actually gone through your gear before the hunt.....
I'm unsubscribing to this thread as it is turning into a ******* match with no real point.
Good day gents.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Might have actually gone through your gear before the hunt.....
I'm unsubscribing to this thread as it is turning into a ******* match with no real point.
Good day gents.
Exactly.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Two comments -

First, every store I've been to or ordered from states that ammo is non-returnable.

Second, I've seen ammo swapped at the stores, so if you bought it and didn't check it before you left then the problem automatically becomes yours based on item #1 above. While it may have been a mistake at the Federal factory it just as easily could have happened after it left their facility. You also have to look at it from their point of view and from a practical point of view.

Just making these comments based on something I've actually seen happen. Always check your ammo box before putting it on the counter to buy it.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
First off, IMO, it's a bit crass (on your part) to label Federal as crap across the board because that is a false assumption based entirely on your ONE experience.

Secondly, they could have been an 8AM monday morning first run and the operator was nursing a Sunday football hangover, in other words, the human factor has to be weighed in.

I'm not condoning Federal's comments but as an employer, Federal will stand behind their employees, just as your employer will stand behind you, thats how it works.

I'm not sure they are Barnes (as Riley assumes). The only way to ascertain that is a pull and section but they appear to me to be Sierra's in the modified Match King flavor....and Sierra offers them in a moly coating.

They certainly bear little resemblence to your original pill.

Having said that, I would have returned them immediately without ever igniting any. Physical comparison dictates the difference. Thats something I've done in the past (returned mis-labelled rounds). Wasn't Federals but another major player.

To actually use them is admitting your acceptance of them, whatever they are......
At first I too, sympathized with the OP. However, I agree with Flip on this...

Jumping on a rant about how somethjng is crap when there are people here trying to help him shows his ignorance, and lack of desire to be helped. All he wants to do is get on the internet and gripe and complain and someone to pat him on the back and say, "It'll be ok..."

That's not the real world hoss...When you grow up there's nobody there to pat you on the back and comfort your anymore. Welcome to real life....Crap happens, and you deal with it. And we're trying to help you deal with it, but you want to whine and complain.

Either sit back and listen to our advice or our helpful advice, or quit whining about Federal making a screw up...

I called Mossberg to order parts for my 835 to fix the "automatic" slide release (it's supposed to lock itself out), but mine is wore-out. The Customer service prick (sounded like a younger guy) got an attitude with me and pretty much told me to go screw myself. Did it piss me off? Sure did. But did I chunk my gun at a pawn shop and buy something else, then get on the internet and rant about it? Nope.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Why did you not check them before you left? If it's a big important hunting trip a good double & triple check of any and all equipment is a must. So, you can't boame a sour hunt entirely on Federal, as the hunter it is your job to check any and all equipment before leaving home to head to the camp...

Just my opinion.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

I happen to agree with the majority on this one, but on a side note the one in the center is a moly coated 85grn Sierra gameking.