Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Federal Claims these are the same bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Federal Claims these are the same bullets.

Why don't you pull one of the bullets and cut it in half?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I had two boxes of the earlier type bullets also...maybe something happened at the factory?? All I know for sure is I am sure disappointed in Federal....they lost a customer for life over this. I no longer trust them to produce a consistent product.

The ones you fellows think are Barnes worked pretty good on bears and deer too...I'll have to see who loads these bullets.
Federal is actually one of the better loaders from what I've seen. They make ammo that shoots acceptably well in most guns I've seen it used in. All can make a mistake now and again.
Send them a good pic of the differences between the bullets if you want to continue the conversation with them. There are other fish (ammo makers) in the sea, but if you want to know what you WERE using, I'd invest a bit of time, pull a bullet from the old box, and send in a few pics and all the info you've got. I'd bet the rep. at federal was actually answering a different question than you actually asked if you weren't terribly specific....
Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

There has got to be some really smart people at Federal but those aren't always the people that talk on the phone and answer emails.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
There has got to be some really smart people at Federal but those aren't always the people that talk on the phone and answer emails.
So true! And 99% of the questions they are used to answering are probably from folks just a bit less "informed" than our OP, if you know what I am saying.

Put those two things together hundreds of times a week, and you end up p'ing off your knowledgeable customers when they call with a legitimate issue.

I agree with the earlier poster who said to get a solid ID and continue the dialogue.

Last edited by varmintH8R; 12-15-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

Pull a bullet, weigh it and get a file and section it and post pictures.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

They don't even look like they are both 100gr. I can't be bothered to push Federal any further, it just aggravates me when they come back with those stupid responses.

By showing this on the internet I can warn others about the CRAP that FEDERAL sells and how they treat you when you do have a problem.

If this is what you get when your looking for 100gr Nosler bullets...just imagine what the powder charges can look like. Clearly I can no longer trust them to provide me with a Premium ammunition and I will be looking for a new supplier for ALL of my firearms.

I've already dropped them for the 338 and now shoot Hornady.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

First off, IMO, it's a bit crass (on your part) to label Federal as crap across the board because that is a false assumption based entirely on your ONE experience.

Secondly, they could have been an 8AM monday morning first run and the operator was nursing a Sunday football hangover, in other words, the human factor has to be weighed in.

I'm not condoning Federal's comments but as an employer, Federal will stand behind their employees, just as your employer will stand behind you, thats how it works.

I'm not sure they are Barnes (as Riley assumes). The only way to ascertain that is a pull and section but they appear to me to be Sierra's in the modified Match King flavor....and Sierra offers them in a moly coating.

They certainly bear little resemblence to your original pill.

Having said that, I would have returned them immediately without ever igniting any. Physical comparison dictates the difference. Thats something I've done in the past (returned mis-labelled rounds). Wasn't Federals but another major player.

To actually use them is admitting your acceptance of them, whatever they are......