Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Federal Claims these are the same bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

Federal Claims these are the same bullets.

Federal claims these are the same bullets [sorry for poor pic quality]. In 2012 I started hunting deer with a 243 and bought what I thought was 100gr Nosler Partitions [two bullets on outside], I was running low this year so went and bought 2 more boxes marked exactly the same as my 2012 rounds. Imagine my surprise when I was out in the bush to discover that the new bullets appeared very different from the ones my gun was sighted in for. My question is, do you have a best guess at what the outside bullets are, I am pretty sure the center one is an actual partition.

Oh ya, Federal says it's because they are putting a moly coating on it and I am just too stupid to be able to see the difference. [I added that in but that is about what it comes out as]

Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Federal Claims these are the same bullets.

Jim,

We recently started MOLY (Molybdenum Disulfide) coating the Nosler Partition bullet in our .243 loads. This coating is why there is a visual difference between the two bullets. One is coated the other is not coated, this is why you are able to see the lead tip on one bullet on the older none coated bullet. We use this coating to increased overall bullet performance with pressures and velocities.

Molybdenum disulfide or "Moly", as it is commonly called, is a lubricant used in extreme pressure conditions due to its high degree of lubricity and high melting point. Moly has been found to reduce bore fouling when applied to bullet surfaces. It will decrease bore cleaning effort and time. Published reports have shown an increase in Ballistic Coefficient, longer barrel life, and an increase in accuracy.

The bullet is still the same bullet just with any additional MOLY coating. However with this new coating you might notice a small difference in point of impact, so you might have to resight in your gun. Since there is reduce barrel drag with coated bullet you should notice improved accuracy.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Barnes TSX.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like you bought some with a mis-labeled box the first time. I think barnesuser28 is correct that your earlier bullets are likely barnes.

Remington is currently doing this on their rum ammo ( both 7mm and 300); labeling the mild loads as "extreme range" instead on the full throttle stuff like they did a year ago. I wonder how many poor souls are buying the new stuff and not hitting crap thinking they have the other load. The only time they actually recall the stuff is if it is dangerous.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Bronze Member

I had two boxes of the earlier type bullets also...maybe something happened at the factory?? All I know for sure is I am sure disappointed in Federal....they lost a customer for life over this. I no longer trust them to produce a consistent product.

The ones you fellows think are Barnes worked pretty good on bears and deer too...I'll have to see who loads these bullets.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

If there was a picture from the top i would be able to 100% confirm these are barnes. Barnes might have a vortex factory load for the tsx.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I had two boxes of the earlier type bullets also...maybe something happened at the factory?? All I know for sure is I am sure disappointed in Federal....they lost a customer for life over this. I no longer trust them to produce a consistent product.

The ones you fellows think are Barnes worked pretty good on bears and deer too...I'll have to see who loads these bullets.
The only way to know for sure if it is a Barnes TSX is to pull one of the bullets and see if it has all the cannelures in the base of it. If it is, that would explain the incredible performance, being that Barnes TSX's are solid copper boat-tail hollow point bullets.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.