Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge
264 Win Mag 70 11.74%
264 Rem Mag 4 0.67%
65. STW 4 0.67%
6.5-284 131 21.98%
6.5 WSM 25 4.19%
6.5 SAUM 20 3.36%
6.5 Rem 59 9.90%
6.5-47 Lapaua 50 8.39%
6.5-06 45 7.55%
Other 188 31.54%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick View Post
My choice is the 6.5x55 my first use of this caliber was when I bought a Swedish mod 96 Mauser in the eighty's for 55 dollars along with the rifle came a couple of boxes of target ammo . I set up a target at about fifty yards fired one shot and then a three shot group .Three shots in one ragged hole even the fouling shot which was aimed at the same place was about a half an inch from the center of the three shot .I could not believe an old gun could shoot that well. That old battered rifle showed me what the 6.5x55 could do. I still shoot this rifle mostly at targets . Its light recoil and accurate shooting keeps me shooting this old girl . barrel looked like it had seen a fair amount of use before I bought it and it seen a lot of use by me over the years , The old gun seems to be holding up well , and can still stack it's shots close together. my son owns a Tikka lite in .223 and has shot 5 shot groups under an inch at two hundred yards . So I felt the need to get a Tikka lite in 6.5x55 and see how it shoots .I have only had time to run the barrel in and try a reload or two ,but one load I tried two groups of five shots each averaged about half M.O.A ,and I'm sure it will beat that with a little more work . I would like to say this is my first post,I hope I have not bored or rambled on to long . this is a great forum,I have gathered a lot of information . I am in Australia and I have to say, we envy you guys gun rights and freedom.STAY STRONG. All the best from done under
Tick.....thank you for the great post and the encouraging words! I have heard many people are moving to your area for the same reasons?......Rich
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick View Post
My choice is the 6.5x55 my first use of this caliber was when I bought a Swedish mod 96 Mauser in the eighty's for 55 dollars along with the rifle came a couple of boxes of target ammo . I set up a target at about fifty yards fired one shot and then a three shot group .Three shots in one ragged hole even the fouling shot which was aimed at the same place was about a half an inch from the center of the three shot .I could not believe an old gun could shoot that well. That old battered rifle showed me what the 6.5x55 could do. I still shoot this rifle mostly at targets . Its light recoil and accurate shooting keeps me shooting this old girl . barrel looked like it had seen a fair amount of use before I bought it and it seen a lot of use by me over the years , The old gun seems to be holding up well , and can still stack it's shots close together. my son owns a Tikka lite in .223 and has shot 5 shot groups under an inch at two hundred yards . So I felt the need to get a Tikka lite in 6.5x55 and see how it shoots .I have only had time to run the barrel in and try a reload or two ,but one load I tried two groups of five shots each averaged about half M.O.A ,and I'm sure it will beat that with a little more work . I would like to say this is my first post,I hope I have not bored or rambled on to long . this is a great forum,I have gathered a lot of information . I am in Australia and I have to say, we envy you guys gun rights and freedom.STAY STRONG. All the best from done under
Tick,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post! The 6.5x55 is certainly a very popular round with a long history of good accuracy. Hope you guys down under can win back many of your gun rights.

Cheers Mate

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Tick,, Great Post and best to you. I grew up with a Swedish Mauser in 6.5 x55. Someday I'll have another ! Thanks and welcome.

Andy
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Tick,
Go on YouTube and pull up Longrange Blog 42 by Sierra 645 [ Thomas Haugland - TH ].
There are 68 blogs but go to #42...TH is shooting both the Swede 6.5x55 & 6.5x284 barrels on his Blaser 93 to well beyond a 1000m

Last edited by CRaTxn; 07-10-2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: digit off
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Thanks guys, great info .Those old Swedish Mausers and the 6.5x55 Swedish cal have become a life time addiction for me. Can't stop don't want to .
Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

The reason that "Other" is the leading choice on the list is because the 6.5x55 Swede was not listed. By sheer number of owners alone, it is the favorite 6.5mm caliber of the entire world. About the second best mule deer cartridge and the best one in 6.5mm. #1 spot goes to the 7x57mm Mauser as a mule deer cartridge. The daddy of the .30-06, which is the best all-around big game cartridge in the world. I believe the new Winchester M70 Featherweight is offered in both 6.5x55 Swede and 7x57 Mauser, which makes both cartridges the oldest cartridge designs to be offered for the "Rifleman's Rifle".

The 6.5x55mm Swede is offered by CZ in the CZ 550 American, and for around $800 that should shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with handloads out-of-the-box, and better if you glass bed the action.

Factory mmunition is easily available for the 6.5mm Swede around here, and factory guns from major manufacturers at attractive prices will keep it in a leading position as far as popularity. Like the 7mm Mauser, the fast twist rate makes it an ideal long range rifle that handles high BC bullets that the average person can shoot and afford. Every store around here that sells reloading equipment has die sets for the 6.5mm Swede, and older guys who have real field experience rather than gun mag reading experience like the 6.5mm Swede a lot.

The 6.5mm Swede suffers the same fate as the 7mm Mauser, in that if you want to know how the cartridge can really perform, you MUST load your own ammo as all the US factory loads are lackluster in energy due to the proliferation of old military surplus rifles in those calibers. Norma sells powerful factory ammo that flat out shoots in both rifles, if you want to pay the $55 price per box. Your handloads might be slightly more accurate, but probably not as powerful. What you WILL have is #1 grade fireformed Norma brass that would cost you over $1 per case if you bought the brass alone and will probably last you 20 reloads, so not too bad a deal to try a box or two.

The 6.5mm Swede was the strongest military rifle of its day, as well as being the best in production quality. The secret proprietary Swedish steel used in the receiver was better than anything that the Americans, Brits, or Germans had at the time. My brother shot modern Norma ammo in his 6.5mm Swede with nary a problem, and was that ever a nice shooting and accurate rifle! Most women and teenagers should have no problem handling the recoil. "Favorite" should have no relation to the latest gunwriter induced mania whose main purpose was to sell advertising for a magazine. The 6.5mm Swede still shoots better than the vast majority of those who will ever read this rant of mine. And like I said, the reason that "other" is the leading choice on the poll is specifically because the 6.5mm Swede was noit specifically mentioned.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

FYI, the Hornady 140g SST Superformance load in 6.5x55 is an excellent factory load. I have shot it side by side with my best handload @ 300 yards. My handload shoots just a touch flatter and is just a bit more accurate, but the difference is very small. I strongly recommend that load from Hornady, provided your rifle likes it and assuming you can find it on the store shelves.

It's not particularly expensive, either. Then again, you don't get Norma brass in the bargain. I use Lapua brass for my handloads. 6.5 Swede Lapua brass is about half the price of 6.5-284 brass and is a bargain when you consider the quality vs the price.

Last edited by benchracer; 07-28-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typos