Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge
264 Win Mag 70 11.74%
264 Rem Mag 4 0.67%
65. STW 4 0.67%
6.5-284 131 21.98%
6.5 WSM 25 4.19%
6.5 SAUM 20 3.36%
6.5 Rem 59 9.90%
6.5-47 Lapaua 50 8.39%
6.5-06 45 7.55%
Other 188 31.54%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Speakin of how popular the 'creed is, I just ordered one

Should be a great little "trainer".

t
Factory or custom?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Factory or custom?

Factory believe it or not... (after telling myself I was done with them). I got a smoking deal on a new Savage model 10 & couldn't pass it up.

t

Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Silver Member

Savage out of the box or with a little tuning is an accurate rifle that needs no apologies .
Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRaTxn View Post
Savage out of the box or with a little tuning is an accurate rifle that needs no apologies .

Oh, no apologies intended. I have 4 other Savages that I truely enjoy.

My comments were based upon my buying/owning several factory rifles only to literally tear them apart & build them into the rifle I wanted to start with (can't leave well enough alone). By the time I'm done Modifying the rifle, I could have a large portion of a custom paid for.

The "Point of Diminishing Returns" so to speak.

t

Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Factory believe it or not... (after telling myself I was done with them). I got a smoking deal on a new Savage model 10 & couldn't pass it up.

t
Yeah, I was under the impression you were done with factory rifles but hard to pass on a good deal. Probably will be a real good shooter.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Yeah, I was under the impression you were done with factory rifles but hard to pass on a good deal. Probably will be a real good shooter.

That's usually what happens when I make a bold statment.... Guess I like the flavor of crow But I did pay just barely over dealer cost on it so, what the hay?

I'm thinking of a "budget build" for this one, the factory stock is the ugliest thing i've ever seen... it's gotta go. Thinking maybe a hydro-dipped Choate tactical w/CDI bottom metal.... maybe (as I cringe) a Vortex viper on top, if I can bring myself to order a foreign optic.

Time will tell, Maybe I should start taking pics & make a thread out of it documenting before & after looks, accuracy & costs. That could be fun (as if I don't have enough to do ).

t

Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's usually what happens when I make a bold statment.... Guess I like the flavor of crow But I did pay just barely over dealer cost on it so, what the hay?

I'm thinking of a "budget build" for this one, the factory stock is the ugliest thing i've ever seen... it's gotta go. Thinking maybe a hydro-dipped Choate tactical w/CDI bottom metal.... maybe (as I cringe) a Vortex viper on top, if I can bring myself to order a foreign optic.

Time will tell, Maybe I should start taking pics & make a thread out of it documenting before & after looks, accuracy & costs. That could be fun (as if I don't have enough to do ).

t
Oh I didn't mean to feed you crow just wondering and a little surprised. Heck, I've said I would never buy another factory rifle except as a doner for a project and I bought a Vanguard 223 just a few weeks ago. Glad I did too. It's a good shooter, very inexpensive trigger time and gopher/PD regulating.

~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 05-30-2013 at 09:50 AM.