Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


View Poll Results: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge
264 Win Mag 70 11.74%
264 Rem Mag 4 0.67%
65. STW 4 0.67%
6.5-284 131 21.98%
6.5 WSM 25 4.19%
6.5 SAUM 20 3.36%
6.5 Rem 59 9.90%
6.5-47 Lapaua 50 8.39%
6.5-06 45 7.55%
Other 188 31.54%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #330  
Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Speakin of how popular the 'creed is, I just ordered one

Should be a great little "trainer".


t
Factory or custom?
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,763
Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Factory or custom?

Factory believe it or not... (after telling myself I was done with them). I got a smoking deal on a new Savage model 10 & couldn't pass it up.



t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cleburne,Texas
Posts: 143
Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Savage out of the box or with a little tuning is an accurate rifle that needs no apologies .
__________________
Somewhere Between Ignorance & Arrogance
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,763
Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRaTxn View Post
Savage out of the box or with a little tuning is an accurate rifle that needs no apologies .

Oh, no apologies intended. I have 4 other Savages that I truely enjoy.

My comments were based upon my buying/owning several factory rifles only to literally tear them apart & build them into the rifle I wanted to start with (can't leave well enough alone). By the time I'm done Modifying the rifle, I could have a large portion of a custom paid for.

The "Point of Diminishing Returns" so to speak.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Factory believe it or not... (after telling myself I was done with them). I got a smoking deal on a new Savage model 10 & couldn't pass it up.



t
Yeah, I was under the impression you were done with factory rifles but hard to pass on a good deal. Probably will be a real good shooter.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,763
Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Yeah, I was under the impression you were done with factory rifles but hard to pass on a good deal. Probably will be a real good shooter.

That's usually what happens when I make a bold statment.... Guess I like the flavor of crow But I did pay just barely over dealer cost on it so, what the hay?

I'm thinking of a "budget build" for this one, the factory stock is the ugliest thing i've ever seen... it's gotta go. Thinking maybe a hydro-dipped Choate tactical w/CDI bottom metal.... maybe (as I cringe) a Vortex viper on top, if I can bring myself to order a foreign optic.

Time will tell, Maybe I should start taking pics & make a thread out of it documenting before & after looks, accuracy & costs. That could be fun (as if I don't have enough to do ).


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
That's usually what happens when I make a bold statment.... Guess I like the flavor of crow But I did pay just barely over dealer cost on it so, what the hay?

I'm thinking of a "budget build" for this one, the factory stock is the ugliest thing i've ever seen... it's gotta go. Thinking maybe a hydro-dipped Choate tactical w/CDI bottom metal.... maybe (as I cringe) a Vortex viper on top, if I can bring myself to order a foreign optic.

Time will tell, Maybe I should start taking pics & make a thread out of it documenting before & after looks, accuracy & costs. That could be fun (as if I don't have enough to do ).


t
Oh I didn't mean to feed you crow just wondering and a little surprised. Heck, I've said I would never buy another factory rifle except as a doner for a project and I bought a Vanguard 223 just a few weeks ago. Glad I did too. It's a good shooter, very inexpensive trigger time and gopher/PD regulating.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 05-30-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC