Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge
264 Win Mag 70 11.74%
264 Rem Mag 4 0.67%
65. STW 4 0.67%
6.5-284 131 21.98%
6.5 WSM 25 4.19%
6.5 SAUM 20 3.36%
6.5 Rem 59 9.90%
6.5-47 Lapaua 50 8.39%
6.5-06 45 7.55%
Other 188 31.54%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
It's ND

I was in Dickinson the last week of the month...Had to beat feet.... somebody forgot the tags on their truck expire at the end of Feb lol

t
Fair enough. We need to meet up and do some pdoggin this summer though. Ive got a place we can get out to about 700 yards and another maybe out to 1k.

And on the 6.5, i have a 6.5x284 Lapua and love it, but not the barrel life. If i would do it again i would go with the 6.5x47 Lapua, or go 6.5x284 and have the barrel nitraded. Maybe even the 6.5 sherman.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 9362 View Post
You'd all be most welcome down under, generally we can hunt year round on public land.There is also some excellent private free range hunting if your budget allows.
You'd have to find you way here and back as I'm only a poor lumber mill worker but I'd certainly feed and house you at no cost and point you in the right direction.
Like wise I'd love to hunt up your way but first I'd need to win the lottery.

Regards Steve.
Thanks much for the offer Steve. If I ever am lucky enough to make the trip, I will certainly contribute to the groceries, cooking and dishes. And I/We would love to see you up here as well. Hope you win that lottery and I as well

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Hey; that's cool you using a 9.3x62 what load do u use in it. I used to have a 20 " barrel CZ in the 62 . Then I had a 64 Brenneke built on a MarkX action so I sold my 62 . I really wish I still had it. But the 64 does everything the 62 does but 150 yards further away. . I was shooting 250 gr X bullets at 2550-2600 from mine. But I get an easy 2750 fps with the 64 and I'm only burning 5 grains more powder.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Norma brass is getting easier to find... I've seen a bunch of Nosler out there too but good gawd... those prices... they must christen each piece with unicorn blood or pixie dust.

t
I see there is some 300 SAUM Norma brass. Might require some neck turning. Something to think about. Maybe Lapua will come out with some 7 SAUM brass?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I see there is some 300 SAUM Norma brass. Might require some neck turning. Something to think about. Maybe Lapua will come out with some 7 SAUM brass?

Yes, i've seen the Norma brass, it would probably require turning (man that sucks ).

I've actually talked to Kevin Thomas about Lapua branded 7mm Saum brass.... not in the works yet dern it. We need to push on him a little harder!

BTW- Look for a thread on the 140CEB's this afternoon or in the morning. No cool stuff yet but i'll throw in bullet measurements compared to the 130 MTH & probably start loading.

I just put a new USO on that rifle & haven't even been able to sight it in yet :(

t

Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, i've seen the Norma brass, it would probably require turning (man that sucks ).

I've actually talked to Kevin Thomas about Lapua branded 7mm Saum brass.... not in the works yet dern it. We need to push on him a little harder!

BTW- Look for a thread on the 140CEB's this afternoon or in the morning. No cool stuff yet but i'll throw in bullet measurements compared to the 130 MTH & probably start loading.

I just put a new USO on that rifle & haven't even been able to sight it in yet :(

t
130 MTH's? You mean 143 MTH's right?

Looking forward to the thread, I'll be cheering ya on

Yeah I pinged Kevin about the Lapua bras yesterday. No reply yet. If i do this SA project it will be at least a year off, maybe a couple, other things higher on the priority list including a 7 or 300 Dakota based 6.5.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
130 MTH's? You mean 143 MTH's right?

Looking forward to the thread, I'll be cheering ya on

Yeah I pinged Kevin about the Lapua bras yesterday. No reply yet. If i do this SA project it will be at least a year off, maybe a couple, other things higher on the priority list including a 7 or 300 Dakota based 6.5.

I want to start by comparing the 130's I used to great success last year to the 140's. Both in MTH. I can sneak the MTACs in the werks somewhere

My objective is to stay with the MTH's as this is a hunting rifle (with a very short bbl life!). I may launch some of the MTAC's to a mile just for giggles though...

Chad tried to talk me into a 6.5/7mm Dakota... that would be a fire breathing beast for sure.

t