Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge
264 Win Mag 70 11.74%
264 Rem Mag 4 0.67%
65. STW 4 0.67%
6.5-284 131 21.98%
6.5 WSM 25 4.19%
6.5 SAUM 20 3.36%
6.5 Rem 59 9.90%
6.5-47 Lapaua 50 8.39%
6.5-06 45 7.55%
Other 188 31.54%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 9362 View Post
Hey you guys with your fire breathing 6.5 dragons are in a different zone than most, but we have afew down here with the same itch.
Not my cup a tea but my 2nd choice would have to be the 6.5 saum which I think is a beautiful case design and although not as quick as the wsm it feeds better and does all I'd ever want in a 6.5
Only 2 more weeks and the our southern hemisphere stag rut begins, can't wait.
Might have to leave the 260 behind and take the 9.3 x62 out for hunt.

regards Steve.

p.s. any of you coming down under?

Brother, the SAUM lacks nothing... except brass.. lol I think it would be an OUTSTANDING cartridge coupled with a SBN treated barrel... I can dig it!

A stag is on my bucket list, I love to visit your country. Met some dern nice folks from down under.

t

Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 9362 View Post
Hey you guys with your fire breathing 6.5 dragons are in a different zone than most, but we have afew down here with the same itch.
Not my cup a tea but my 2nd choice would have to be the 6.5 saum which I think is a beautiful case design and although not as quick as the wsm it feeds better and does all I'd ever want in a 6.5
Only 2 more weeks and the our southern hemisphere stag rut begins, can't wait.
Might have to leave the 260 behind and take the 9.3 x62 out for hunt.

regards Steve.

p.s. any of you coming down under?
Would love to Steve. If I ever get overseas again NZ is first on the list mate! You wouldn't happen to have a spare round trip ticket would you?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Brother, you're killing me... It's supposed to be in the mid 60's Wednesday & Thursday... keep you fingers crossed that I don't get called back to ND... Spent 3/4 of Feb up there, i'm a WEE bit behind.

t
Whats wrong with ND?!?!?!? JK, pretty busy in the sw part of the state aint it? Been in/around Dickinson much?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Brother, the SAUM lacks nothing... except brass.. lol I think it would be an OUTSTANDING cartridge coupled with a SBN treated barrel... I can dig it!

A stag is on my bucket list, I love to visit your country. Met some dern nice folks from down under.

t
Ya know... I've been considering doing a 6.5 SAUM SA. Sharpen and push the shoulder down just a little. Midway was advertizing Norma brass a while back but I don't see it anymore. I think I would give it a go if the Norma brass was available.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Whats wrong with ND?!?!?!? JK, pretty busy in the sw part of the state aint it? Been in/around Dickinson much?

It's ND

I was in Dickinson the last week of the month...Had to beat feet.... somebody forgot the tags on their truck expire at the end of Feb lol

t

Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Ya know... I've been considering doing a 6.5 SAUM SA. Sharpen and push the shoulder down just a little. Midway was advertizing Norma brass a while back but I don't see it anymore. I think I would give it a go if the Norma brass was available.

Norma brass is getting easier to find... I've seen a bunch of Nosler out there too but good gawd... those prices... they must christen each piece with unicorn blood or pixie dust.

t

Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Bronze Member

You'd all be most welcome down under, generally we can hunt year round on public land.There is also some excellent private free range hunting if your budget allows.
You'd have to find you way here and back as I'm only a poor lumber mill worker but I'd certainly feed and house you at no cost and point you in the right direction.
Like wise I'd love to hunt up your way but first I'd need to win the lottery.

Regards Steve.