Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge
264 Win Mag 70 11.74%
264 Rem Mag 4 0.67%
65. STW 4 0.67%
6.5-284 131 21.98%
6.5 WSM 25 4.19%
6.5 SAUM 20 3.36%
6.5 Rem 59 9.90%
6.5-47 Lapaua 50 8.39%
6.5-06 45 7.55%
Other 188 31.54%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Point well taken CR, but I don't think anyone was telling Stoky to hit the road.. although I can see that it might come across as a bit of over reaction to "barrel thrashing overbores" which most of us have some affection for.

So Stocky, hope you don't take it personal, but this is a specialized site where we put a premium on going faster and farther and hitting harder. It usually comes at a price, but that price can sometimes be mitigated.
Agree with Mark! I think the point was made........Rich
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

So do u guys turn down the 100 yard shots? ?

I think the moderate velocity 6.5 are the most useful.
However. Since I live and hunt in brown / grizzly bear country .the over bore 6.5 aren't as useful for me as you guys in the lower 48 .

I think a first shot kill at 600 yards on a beautiful furred Cross fox and not blowing a huge hole would be an awesome use of my 6.5Creed.
Then filling the freezer with a caribou shot at the same range. With the same rifle make the 6.5 s unique. And superior to any other cailber.
Yes the overbores would do the same as at that range the bullet has slowed sufficiently . But that same fox at 100' would just be a red misty puff of fur.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

For general hunting, I usually move in as close as I can practically get. The long shot is great to have when you need it. That said, I might set up a long shot ambush in some good locations. Being distant can be an advantage to finding and shooting critters.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
So do u guys turn down the 100 yard shots? ?

I think the moderate velocity 6.5 are the most useful.
However. Since I live and hunt in brown / grizzly bear country .the over bore 6.5 aren't as useful for me as you guys in the lower 48 .

I think a first shot kill at 600 yards on a beautiful furred Cross fox and not blowing a huge hole would be an awesome use of my 6.5Creed.
Then filling the freezer with a caribou shot at the same range. With the same rifle make the 6.5 s unique. And superior to any other cailber.
Yes the overbores would do the same as at that range the bullet has slowed sufficiently . But that same fox at 100' would just be a red misty puff of fur.

So... you want a moderate velocity 6.5 (or any 6.5 for that matter) in Grizz country?
You may be a little braver than I am

Yes, any magnum rifle smacking a fox at 100' is going to make a mess but don't fool yourself into thinking that the Creed won't make a nasty hole either.

t

Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
For general hunting, I usually move in as close as I can practically get. The long shot is great to have when you need it. That said, I might set up a long shot ambush in some good locations. Being distant can be an advantage to finding and shooting critters.

Good point, my 6.5 is right around 16lbs IIRC, while I can & do pack it, she's set up for ambush hunting.

t

Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Yeah
I'm figurin' on movin' somewhere with bean fields and necking a .458 Lott down to 6.5.
Gonna call it the 666 Texass Barnburner.
It should be just the thing for deer the size of dogs.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Consider a solid bullet such as Barnes X, Hornady,Winchester variants for close shots at high velocity on fur bearers and bears and VLDs for LRH...the difference in POI inside 100 yards will be so little as to be unworthy of consideration while the precision sight in for the VLD will remain.