Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge
264 Win Mag 70 11.74%
264 Rem Mag 4 0.67%
65. STW 4 0.67%
6.5-284 131 21.98%
6.5 WSM 25 4.19%
6.5 SAUM 20 3.36%
6.5 Rem 59 9.90%
6.5-47 Lapaua 50 8.39%
6.5-06 45 7.55%
Other 188 31.54%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Favorite 6.5 Cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WSM View Post
... I find those "barrel thrashing overbores" a lot more interesting .....

I could not have said that any better

t

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WSM View Post
Stoky:

You must be on the wrong forum. If you are not interested in barrel "trashing overbores" then 6mm BR or Accurate or 24 hr Campfire must be your forum.

I have yet to wear out a barrel that has been Nitrocarburized. I also use HBN coated bullets exclusively, which may extend the life of barrels.

Yes the 264 Winchester Magnum is hard on barrels. I wore out 3 of those barrels decades ago. They also shoot flat in the wind and are devastating on game animals at long range which is what this forum is about. I find those "barrel thrashing overbores" a lot more interesting to load for than the cartridges I can buy at the local box store. If you shoot once a year at 100 yards then it makes little difference.

6.5 WSM
Actually, that thought crossed my mind as well......Rich
Old 02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I could not have said that any better

t
That makes 2 of us

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Well there goes Stoky...good thing we got rid of him before he learned that there are ways to ameliorate short barrel life with nitrocarbonizing, HBN bullet coating, SMc case design i.e. long necks & radial shoulder design, 5r-3r polygon rifling, carbon wrapped barrels, holding long strings of shooting to a minimum (this ain't bench rest shooting and 10 shot strings don't kill many elk but those first couple should), giving cold barrel shots the emphasis they deserve, opening the bolt and setting the rifle vertical so chimney effect can help cool the throat/bore, using bullets with drive bands to reduce bore friction/heat, using QuickLoad to see which powders are coolest burning, ditto primers,etc..
Yep, there are just too many of us advanced LRH types (that were never young and dumb or green into a new sport) in this country trying to pull together to save the 2nd Amendment and we need to weed out those coming in below us that might replace us as we age and leave the prairie.
Yeah, Stoky we don't need nor want you on this forum. Get you as_ out of here!
Now...I feel much more secure with my favorite wildcat...but I'm not too sure about yours, just keep it to yourself newbie.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Point well taken CR, but I don't think anyone was telling Stoky to hit the road.. although I can see that it might come across as a bit of over reaction to "barrel thrashing overbores" which most of us have some affection for.

So Stocky, hope you don't take it personal, but this is a specialized site where we put a premium on going faster and farther and hitting harder. It usually comes at a price, but that price can sometimes be mitigated.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM

gee, sorry if I offended anybody
no....................really
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoky View Post
gee, sorry if I offended anybody
no....................really
Not at all Stoky

~ John Quincy Adams