Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fav powder for a 6-284 29" barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fav powder for a 6-284 29" barrel

I understand your frustration. You have read that others are getting with their 6mm-284s and 107s at much faster velocities than your rifle. If you do a long search you will find quite a wide range of results.

One load that kept popping up was Randy Derks world record 6 targets 7 @ 1000 YDS 54 grains of Reloader 22 - Federal 210m primer - Sierra 107 grain Match King bullet - 3425 fps. I have no idea on barrel length or twist.

I did a ton of research before deciding on which twist/bullet etc. I decided I wanted to shoot a 115. After reading that many shooters had issues with the 115 Bergers coming apart the DTAC was THE bullet to try. Many recommended a 1 in 7.5 twist for 115s. So I got a Bartlein 5R with that faster twist. I tried every possible variable with Lapua brass. Several powders, seating depths, neck tensions etc. Nothing shot well enough. I shot over 600 rounds, using up the best of the barrel's potential learning.

So...I switched to the 107 Sierra which showed accuracy right away. While I had heard of superior velocities with RL-22 I wanted a powder that was more consistent over a wide range of temperatures. I tried H1000 and Retumbo. 57 gr of Retumbo worked the best. Velocity is a sedate 3265 fps. I'll use up the rest of the barrel 's life with this combination.

The next barrel will most likely use 284 win brass and I'll get a slower twist. I may even try RL-22 as well.

I can PM you my rather lengthy file on every load I could find on the 6mm-284 via the net.

Ross
Old 05-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I do remember our conversations, kind of, that was a while ago!!! My Olsen 6-284 was also a very good shooter and also produced similiar velocity to what I am seeing with my current rig.

That said, every barrel is different and it seems that the more extreme the chambering, the larger the difference CAN be from barrel to barrel. Lilja barrels are not known for extreme velocity potential because they generally run pretty tight on bore diameter. This is because they are ment for BR type rifles more then anything so when you get a slow Lilja, it can be pretty slow but generally very accurate.

You did not mention if you could push a bullet though the neck of a fired case. From your numbers, you should have plenty of room for proper bullet release, in fact a bit more then I would recommend.

That said, if you have not confirmed this by making sure you can push a bullet through a fired case I would do so. The older a reamer gets, the smaller the neck and throat diameter get. This is just normal wear. I have no idea how many chambers have been cut with his reamer but I bet its more then a few!!!

Never hurts to make sure and if needed, take a slight turn off your neck diameter if needed. A neck that is to tight can cause some SEVERE pressure issues.

Anyway, I would confirm that and if that is not a problem, I would say your about there with your load development. With conditions as bad as you were shooting in, you got very good accuracy results, good loads, good rifle and great shooting!!!

Unfortunately, the 6-284 is one of those wildcats that are just not well suited to alot of load development as you well know. Kind of like the top fuel dragster. To many runs down the 1/4 mile stip and things will need to be replaced!!! But man those runs are FUN!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

One thing that always suprises me with loaders using the 6-284 or similiar chamberings is when they tell me that they would prefer to use RL-22 if it only was more stable with temp changes but then they say they go to H-1000 which is noticably slower burning and even Retumbo which is dramatically slower burning.

H-4831 is nearly IDENTICAL to RL-22. Now you can not use same loads but burn rate for all intent and purpose is so close that whatever RL-22 can do in velocity, H-4831 will match it easily with very similiar pressures and load densities. There is even the option to use H-4831SC which has much smaller granular size.

One thing to keep in mind when using the larger granular powders in a small bore, you may be seeing minor powder bridging at higher chamber pressures which could be limiting the potential of your chambering with these premature pressure spikes.

The big 6mms are certainly prone to this problem with the larger stick powders. A fine ball powder would be best choice but few offer anything remotely close to stability under temp changes.

Still, if RL-22 is the preferred powder in the 6-284, which from what I have seen, its about as ideal as you can get, why would anyone look any farther then H-4831 for a more stable replacement powder.

Going to H-1000 and Retumbo will only increase load density and reduce velocity potential. This is not a bad thing. Extreme velocity spreads are generally very good with these slower powders and accuracy is generally pretty darn good as well so not a big deal but you do give up velocity and you also have to watch for excessive carbon fouling which is always an issue when using a large capacity small bore chambering and its exaggerated when using powders on the Slow side of the recommended burn rate for a specific chambering.

Just always suprised how H-4831 gets passed over all the time which is really to bad. Maybe its because of its old name and the newer powders get the go over it. Still, I think alot of you would be very happy with the results of this powder in the big 6mm if you like what you see from RL-22.

Great velocity, small granular size, stable in temp changes and clean burning with good load densities. May want to give it a try.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Gold Member

Ramshot magnum is the powder to use in the6-284.
Great accuracy, low es/sd, temp stable.
I've used it alot and have suggested it to others and they
have had great results as well.
I'm getting 3395fps with 107smks with28" barrel at sea level.
Less than .5 moa at 1000yds
Old 05-15-2011, 01:02 PM

This week I'll try 51 and 52 gr rl 22 and see. I also picked up some Berger 105 " hunting bullets" last week and I'll give those a try. They aren't moly coated and my mk's are. I'll wait until I shoot the mk's and then the bore should be sufficiently coated.

The lilja has been my second premium barrel and copper fouling is almost nonexistent. My AR has a 1-13 Kreiger and it's been as good
Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockZ View Post
Ramshot magnum is the powder to use in the6-284.
Great accuracy, low es/sd, temp stable.
I've used it alot and have suggested it to others and they
have had great results as well.
I'm getting 3395fps with 107smks with28" barrel at sea level.
Less than .5 moa at 1000yds

+1 here, I am really liking Magnum in my 6-284, consistency is great, not quite as slow as Retumbo & a little slower than H-1000 IIRC. I haven't pushed as hard as Kirby or RockZ but accuracy has been 1/2 moa or less (on a good day)