Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Faulty Leupold or other explanation? Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Bronze Member

Faulty Leupold or other explanation? Help!

First off many thanks to this site and it's members for so much valuable information. You've helped me select equipment and set up a rifle that is giving VERY good results (consistant sub MOA) to 1000 yards. I've been shooting my new Remington Sendero SFII .300RUM at 1000 yards and have an issue I can't explain and need some help with. The scope is an older Leupold 6.5 X 20 LRT, 30mm tube, 50mm obective, Night Force 20MOA two piece bases, Warne rings. I'm shooting 200g Accubonds at 3070fps. O.K. so here is the issue, with a dead on center of bullseye 100 yard zero, my groups are averaging 3 MOA right at 1000 yards with no wind. My required come up is 26 MOA (more than JBM calculates by 2 MOA?) and 3 MOA left windage. Today I shot a 5" 3 shot group and #4 opened the group to 10". This is my fifth time shooting this setup at 1K and same results each time - sub MOA groups always requiring left windage. I've noticed in Shawn Carlock's article "Reading the wind" that a right hand twist barrel can cause POI to be right. I'm assuming he didn't mean 30" right. Is it possible that my scope is to blame? When I initially mounted the scope I used the level kit to level the action and placed the second level on top of the elevation turret. After shooting at 1K at impacting right I rechecked the scope level on a building and noticed the reticle was canted left. I loosened up the scope and repositioned it so the reticle is level and plumb with the building. This results in the turret now being out of level with the action. At any rate both scope alignments result in POI to the right at approximately 3 MOA. Any thoughts or help on what could be causing this will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

nwdan i have that same scope and it is about 5 years old i just got it back from leupold it had a broken cross hair and wouldnt focus anymore.
have you tryed shooting it at say 300 yards? is it still shooting way right? and are your groups still walking around? if you send it to leupold they are about 3 weeks out. michael
Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

michael A., I shot last weekend at 500 and didn't see any POI shift to the right. It is wierd. I guess what I should do is shoot 600 -700- to 1K to see if it gets progressively worse as range increases. I always hate the hassels of sending a scope in but I'm not sure what else could be causing this. I would think the elevation turret should be square with the reticle but maybe that is not important. I'm not sure??
Old 02-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

thats why i like etched reticals no worry of broken reticles. but to the question at hand you need to be conserned about that scope. you should level the retical even if the turrit is canted off to one side. you can send the scope in to the leupold custom shop and they will realine the retical and turrit for you . at the same time they will check out your scope and make sure its in good working order.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Bronze Member

tjonh2001, I think you are right about sending the scope in. Is it possible that the scope is actually tracking right as I run the 26 MOA up elevation? At one point I did shoot one shot in the bullseye at 100 yards, then keeping the target at 100 yards ran up 26 MOA an shot again. That shot was in perfect verticle alignment. I would think if the scope is moving right wth up elevation it would show up at 100yards wouldn't it?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWdan View Post
First off many thanks to this site and it's members for so much valuable information. You've helped me select equipment and set up a rifle that is giving VERY good results (consistant sub MOA) to 1000 yards. I've been shooting my new Remington Sendero SFII .300RUM at 1000 yards and have an issue I can't explain and need some help with. The scope is an older Leupold 6.5 X 20 LRT, 30mm tube, 50mm obective, Night Force 20MOA two piece bases, Warne rings. I'm shooting 200g Accubonds at 3070fps. O.K. so here is the issue, with a dead on center of bullseye 100 yard zero, my groups are averaging 3 MOA right at 1000 yards with no wind. My required come up is 26 MOA (more than JBM calculates by 2 MOA?) and 3 MOA left windage. Today I shot a 5" 3 shot group and #4 opened the group to 10". This is my fifth time shooting this setup at 1K and same results each time - sub MOA groups always requiring left windage. I've noticed in Shawn Carlock's article "Reading the wind" that a right hand twist barrel can cause POI to be right. I'm assuming he didn't mean 30" right. Is it possible that my scope is to blame? When I initially mounted the scope I used the level kit to level the action and placed the second level on top of the elevation turret. After shooting at 1K at impacting right I rechecked the scope level on a building and noticed the reticle was canted left. I loosened up the scope and repositioned it so the reticle is level and plumb with the building. This results in the turret now being out of level with the action. At any rate both scope alignments result in POI to the right at approximately 3 MOA. Any thoughts or help on what could be causing this will be greatly appreciated.

I see two possibilities here. Gyroscopic drift will impact bullets to the right but shouldn't be over 30". But it could be possible. Some guns exhibit bad drift and othes don't show any at all.

The other possibility is canting of the rifle. The only really good way to mount a scope is to level on the lug raceways with a reticle leveling window tool. The level a target board and parallel the horizontal crosshair with the top of the board to double check.

Putting a level on the top of the turret sounds like a good idea, but they are not always parallel with the horizontal crosshair.

Check these two things and if it still has a problem then send it back to Leupold. You will have it back in under two weeks.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

nwdan when did you start having trouble at 1k if it was after you shot at 500 i would try shooting it at 500 again and see what it groups like now
im not sure about the turret one would think it sould be square.
michael