Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Faster than required twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

Faster than required twist

Ive been doing some reading and learning that sometimes running a faster twist than necessary can yeild some positive results. Ive always been cautious of over spinning bullets because of my understanding of precession and lateral jump, and im beginning to question my understanding of these topics and the ideal twist for a bullet.

Im sure someone here has beat me to this one and was hoping they could share some wisdom with me on stability and how to take full advantage of it.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Faster than required twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Ive been doing some reading and learning that sometimes running a faster twist than necessary can yeild some positive results. Ive always been cautious of over spinning bullets because of my understanding of precession and lateral jump, and im beginning to question my understanding of these topics and the ideal twist for a bullet.

Im sure someone here has beat me to this one and was hoping they could share some wisdom with me on stability and how to take full advantage of it.
Bryan Litz (Berger) has recently written about this and I believe it is the best info currently available........Rich
Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Gold Member

He wrote a new book?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
He wrote a new book?
I think there is something posted on the thread concerning the Nosler LRAB thread. He posted some results and I think the publication is forthcoming......Rich

Basically, you need a 1.5 stability I think? In a nutshell, we are losing some b.c. capability, in some bullets, by not twisting fast enough.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I think there is something posted on the thread concerning the Nosler LRAB thread. He posted some results and I think the publication is forthcoming......Rich

Basically, you need a 1.5 stability I think? In a nutshell, we are losing some b.c. capability, in some bullets, by not twisting fast enough.
Thanks rich,
I found the link you were talking about.

Litz has the book for sale on his website : https://store.appliedballisticsllc.c...?code=featured

See ive heard that a stable bullet produces less frontal area and a higher B.C., but this last article was talking about better short range accuracy with long vld bullets, as well as better accuracy past the trans-sonic region, and better terminal ballistics as well.

They theorized that increasing the twist rate would overcome some imperfections in the bullet that caused the inaccuracy to begin with. I think they were shooting 30 cals with 1:9 twist or 1:8 maybe.

Its sounds feasible to me.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Although my experience is that a bullet that has been 'over twisted' does not yield good accuracy results, I must be in the minority as there are so many people running 1:7 twist AR barrels and shooting 55grain bullets.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Although my experience is that a bullet that has been 'over twisted' does not yield good accuracy results, I must be in the minority as there are so many people running 1:7 twist AR barrels and shooting 55grain bullets.
Thats the understanding ive been under, and ive believed running the slowest twist possible would let me get all the speed out of a load that i could.

Im about to re barrel a SA remington and i think ill run a tighter twist than is necessary and see how it plays out.