Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fast and slow barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 PM

Fast and slow barrels

Okay I understand some barrels are faster and/or slower than others all other factors being equal. I have recently been wondering if the method of rifling can affect speed/friction of the projectile. When we compare hammer forged rifling to say button rifling it looks much rougher as if there would be more friction and thus produce a slower moving projectile. Button rifling in contrast looks to me anyway much smoother, hence less friction. Is this true or doesn't it make any difference?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Fast and slow barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancrn113 View Post
Okay I understand some barrels are faster and/or slower than others all other factors being equal. I have recently been wondering if the method of rifling can affect speed/friction of the projectile. When we compare hammer forged rifling to say button rifling it looks much rougher as if there would be more friction and thus produce a slower moving projectile. Button rifling in contrast looks to me anyway much smoother, hence less friction. Is this true or doesn't it make any difference?
I've always wondered the same thing!

But, I would like to throw in my own spin!

What about the number of grooves/lands?

My Kimber in 300WinMag has 4 grooves/lands, my 300Weatherby has 6 grooves/lands and, the 300WinMag practically equals the 300Weatherby with equal barrel lengths and pressure, both are 26".

My F-Class rifle in 300WinMag has 3 grooves/lands and, it shoots faster than it should than either of the other 2.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
SPONSOR

Throw this in the mix, too. Almost all custom tubes are 'hand lapped'. A method used to remove burrs and roughness. Because of the cost, I don't think many production rifle barrels are hand lapped (if they are, they aren't doing a very good job!, on the ones I see anyway).
Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Reportedly the 5C barrels with canted rifling shoot faster than non-canted rifled barrels.

I believe that polygonal barrels are also supposed to shoot faster because they seal better, keeping all the expanding gasses behind the bullet.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Reportedly the 5C barrels with canted rifling shoot faster than non-canted rifled barrels.

I believe that polygonal barrels are also supposed to shoot faster because they seal better, keeping all the expanding gasses behind the bullet.
+1 on the 5c and 5r barrels. Also loose bores (or undersized bullets) make a little difference but accuracy is also slightly less.