Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Factory VS Custom rifle gripe...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Factory VS Custom rifle gripe...

I am just thankful we have plenty of choices for both factory and customs at varying prices for different supplies and demands - plenty for end users to choose from.

America, the land of choices and the land of plenty - life is all about choices ... what one does with their choices is a different story.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 PM

to me personally and i dont care who you are, nobody could justify 5800 dollars worth of rifle unless it was made out of some kind of precious metal(gold).
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=pondskipper;656896]If I had a lathe with a short enough headstock, spider, live pilot reamers and go / no go gauges I could do my own chambering work, it's not rocket science. QUOTE]

Reamers are easy to come by, as are headspace gauges. Many, many, many accurate barrels(Bench Rest accurate) have been chambered and fit in a steady rest. Do it.

The term "tactical" has been mentioned, that seems to draw a 50-100% premium. While sipping an Orange Julius at the food court during break the $6000 rifle is going to bench race the hell out of the $3000 one.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Silver Member

I never see the custom$6K rifles that cost that much show up at any matches to shoot . Most people have gathered there own pieces and have a smith put it all together for them and it seems to shoot pretty well . I have 3 rifles based on factory actions that shoot pretty well. No need to spend all that cash on one when you can get two or three builds for that price .
Old 05-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Bronze Member

For starters, I know good and well the tooling isn't that expensive to buy but the smallest lathe I have access to is a lodge and Shipley that can turn up to a 48" diameter with a bed that 12' long that's done nothing but turn cast iorn and cast steel forgings it's entire life and the bed looks like someone has beaten it to death with a sledge hammer and needless to say is not exactly precise anymore, it wasn't intended for doing small tedious things in the first place, just turning BIG stuff and getting it somewhat close not to mention the fact that if you do it that way you can't check the run out of the "bore" of the barrel on both ends which to me is all I give a damn about, I wouldn't care if the OD was running out 5-10 thou as long as the bore was running true. Now were not talking about benchrest guns here either incase you didn't read all the comments, if I were building a benchrest rifle I could completely see spending 6000 on a custom rifle, in that type of shooting you had better fork out some serious money to be competitive but that's comparing a 6000 bench gun to a 3000 tactical match rifle and is in no way the same, if you spent 6000 on a custom bench rest gun it had damn well better out shoot a 3000 dollar tactical match rifle. If you compare the rifle I'm buildin to a accuracy international 308 which everyone seems to think they can just go fork out god knows how much cash for, come to our local range and spank everyone's asses with it "in tactical matches" and get beat by folks shooting tuned Remington 700 based rifles and even savages now days chambered in 243, 6xc, 260 Remington, 6 and 6.5x47L with probably 1/2 the money tied up in them they wonder why they can't compete most of the time. In all honesty they usually end up pissed off wanting to get rid of them and get out of the sport, I've seen it happen to a lot of people, nice people at that who didn't know any better at the time. And I dont think it's right is all I'm saying. Some people are misinformed, some are just hard headed and others just don't know any better, in some cases its not always the equipment it's the shooter but even at that you just can't justify to me spending that much for a rifle that will in no way be better than the one I'm building. Hands down.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

I believe one can get an old, used Win. 70 action out of a cheap old rifle, square up its bolt and receiver face, replace its firing pin spring with a 26-pound one, have a Kreiger barrel fitted then properly epoxy bedded in a plain solid wood stock for under $1500 these days. If the work's done by someone who does it well and right, it'll shoot just as accurate as current record setting 1000 yard bench rest rifles costing 4 to 5 times as much. Then add the price of the scope and it doesn't have to be more than a few hundred bucks.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Bronze Member

Bart, you are exactly right. The only reason I'm using the components that I'm using is that just about everyone has a tuned factory rifle where I shoot an I just wanted to do something a little different but the performance would likely be the same and I still wouldn't be anywhere close to the 6000 price tag