Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Factory vs custom barrel velocity ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Factory vs custom barrel velocity ?

Do most of you think the Custom barrel will as a rule give higher velocity's than a factory barrel ? I ask because I have tested 3 6.8 SPC barrels and the more expensive on gives the highest velocity. I know it does vary even in the same lot of barrels. The 2 cheaper barrels are 10 feet from being the same. The third is not custom just more expensive and it is 140 fps faster and all are 16 inch. I could get a 20 inch and have my 16 inch shooting faster. That would be money down the drain. You could say that would be me getting educated and education is expensive. My Bar-Sto pistol barrels also give higher velocity's than my factory barrels. So what have you found to be the case,

Thanks,Keith
Old 04-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Factory vs custom barrel velocity ?

Barrels are like people, no two the same. A benchrest target type barrel is usually slower because it is tighter which is slightly slow, Krieger barrels tend to be fast among the custom barrels. Douglas fast but not really custom. Shilens are fast but short lived. You just need to find a brand you like that shoots good. Several factory barrels are fast, but not accurate.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Barrels are like people, no two the same. A benchrest target type barrel is usually slower because it is tighter which is slightly slow, Krieger barrels tend to be fast among the custom barrels. Douglas fast but not really custom. Shilens are fast but short lived. You just need to find a brand you like that shoots good. Several factory barrels are fast, but not accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

What tighter isn't always slower! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] My 22" Rock 1:11.25 .308 barrel is a tight bore .298 barrel and produces almost 100 fps faster bullet with the same ammo than my one buddies .308 1:10 24" Hart match barrel and another buddies 1:12 24" Shilen SS match barrel on his bench-rest rifle. Now my rifle is not a bench rest gun but thatís really irrelevant. Tighter bores produce more pressure and thus usually more velocity but thereís a lot more to it.

I'll agree no two barrels are a like, but I'll totally disagree with the first part of your statement.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
Do most of you think the Custom barrel will as a rule give higher velocity's than a factory barrel ? I ask because I have tested 3 6.8 SPC barrels and the more expensive on gives the highest velocity. I know it does vary even in the same lot of barrels. The 2 cheaper barrels are 10 feet from being the same. The third is not custom just more expensive and it is 140 fps faster and all are 16 inch. I could get a 20 inch and have my 16 inch shooting faster. That would be money down the drain. You could say that would be me getting educated and education is expensive. My Bar-Sto pistol barrels also give higher velocity's than my factory barrels. So what have you found to be the case,

Thanks,Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

Keith,

Generally, tighter bores fit the bullets more correctly. The more correct the fit, the better the performance. That is why some guys use custom bullets. The bullet diameters can be thin, standard or fat. Also, there is less drag on properly lapped barrels.

James
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

First off BR barrels are not slower because they are tighter.

I think that is a misconception stemming from the tight bore Palma rifles which are 30" and set up to only shoot 155s. They are the only barrels set up that way normally.

BR rifles use standard match barrels.

Now there are some barrels that will be faster due to the type rifling, which gives less pressure with a standard charge which means you can go to more powder and get more MV.

These include canted rifling types such as the Rock 5r, Broughton 5C and any other with this type rifling. It is widely known that most Broughton 5C barrels will run about 50-75 fps faster than standard rifling in same twists.

Also twist rate will be a factor. For example, most people use the old standby of a 1-10 in a 30 cal. That barrel will develop higher pressure and lower MV than a 1-11 or 12 twist with the same 300 win mag shooting 210s as the 1-10 spins the bullet faster and gives you a higher pressure. The 1-10 was the standard for heavy bullets at lower velocities. When you up the MV (such as a 3006 compared to a 300 Win or 300 WSM) you can go to the slower twists with less RPM, and still shoot the same heavy bullet faster.

Seirra says that you need a 1-9 for their 240, yes if you shoot it at the lower velocities. Yet if you take a 300 Weatherby (no free bore either), 300 Ackley or 300 Rum for example, they will all easilty shoot the 240 and very accurately as they are much faster and do not need the faster twist to stabilize the bullet.

BH
Old 04-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Seirra says that you need a 1-9 for their 240, yes if you shoot it at the lower velocities. Yet if you take a 300 Weatherby (no free bore either), 300 Ackley or 300 Rum for example, they will all easilty shoot the 240 and very accurately as they are much faster and do not need the faster twist to stabilize the bullet. BH

[/ QUOTE ]

How far out will they stay stabilize? I ask this question, because Bill Bailey shot them out of a 10 twist and did fine until about 1500 yards,at that point he said that they were all over the place.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

I am thinking along the same line. That being said there is no way to be sure that a 20 inch will shoot faster than say a 16 inch. It should but don't bet the Farm on it,

Thanks,Keith