Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Factory Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Factory Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

My dad picked up a mag yesterday, I think it was Shooting Times, and there was a review of the new Savage Model 111 Long Range Hunter.
It was Accustocked and triggered with what looked like a Karstens cheek peice. Med weight barrel with heavy flutes 24in with a brake. The test gun was chambered in a 6.5-284 Norma and it looked like it shot very well all this for a retail price of $664. It isn't on the Savage web site yet. It would seem that Savage is being fairly agressive to give the market what it wants at a price average Joe can afford.
Man I hope we see a Lapua size action soon, I'm dying to have a 338LM or a 338Norma Savage. Soooo many guns Soooooo little money
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Re: Factory Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

God bless Ron Coburn and the boys at Savage for making the 6.5-284 a production cartridge. Savage is setting the industry standard for seeing what the market wants, and then filling that need. Obviously an accurate and affordable long range hunting rifle is the latest void Savage is filling and this rifle appears to fill the bill nicely. Nice to see the adjustable cheek piece on it too, although the article said that the "brush grabbing" large knobs on the cheek piece would be replaced by some small streamlined ones. (bummer). Seems the author of the article was looking at this as an all around brush busting rifle and not the long range hunter it was designed to be. I'm anxious to see how the new accustock performs as well. Way to go Savage!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Let me stir the pot a bit ... "WTG Savage, maybe Remington will will do the same"

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Let me stir the pot a bit ... "WTG Savage, maybe Remington will will do the same"
If Remington were to ever do something like that, you could probably have a custom one built for a few hundred more. Remington is getting to were they think pretty highly of there stuff.

Not knocking Remington but it's getting were your average person can't afford their better rifles.
Way to go Savage for looking out for the little guy.

Nathan
Old 11-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

I actually wonderrd if I should have went with a Savage 110 FCP-K in .300 Win Mag insteads of a Sendero in .300 RUM.

One deciding factor for me was action length, because I do want to rebarrel to .338 Edge later on.

I've had two Savages, a 7mm Rem Mag and a .325 WSM. Both were great shooters.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Bronze Member

I want a 110 FCP-K right now, but I think I will hold my water until after the first of the year. Wait and see what Savage comes out with. Hopefully a long and short action version with all the popular long range chamberings. Also like to see the Accustock redesigned for the long range models with a 2" wide beaver tail. Longer barrel options also.

Last edited by 6mm; 11-08-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

I really liked the looks of the rifle in the magazine, I would have a different brake made for it in a baffle design. It seems that they are listening to guys when they chamber a short action round in a long action so we can seat long range bullets out where they belong and still cycle through the mag. It sounds like there are a few cals it will be released but I couldn't find any more info.
I have been looking at getting a rifle set up for my wife but I will hang on and hook her up with one of these in the 6.5-284 Norma, install a Edwards recoil reducer in the butt stock and a WOtac scope on top, hopefully she will share
Don't get me wrong, if it were up to me I'd order one LRH store but the coin is no where near there and I want to play so Savage is thee game in town.