Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

factory rifle accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

factory rifle accuracy

Is it unusual to get consistant MOA accuracy but not better with a factory rifle? The rifle in question would be a Savage 112 in 300 RUM, plastic stock. I do get sub MOA sometimes. I have tried 168 a-max and 200 gr accubonds each with different common powders for the cartridge. Both times consistant MOA from 1-600 yds but that's it. I don't know if I should keep seaching for "the Load" or assume this is it without some GS help.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: factory rifle accuracy

The plastic stock is certainly not helping, there is so much flex in that stock, that consistent cheek pressure and shoulder position is VERY difficult, and when it isn't exact, the patterns suffer.

I have one downstairs if anyone needs it, when it was on my 300WSM, I would get sub MOA most of the time. Now, with a good stock, if I don't get .5" or better, I've likely drank too much coffee.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

I have had several Savages and they all shot extremely well for a factory rifle with crappy stocks. The first thing I would do is make sure the barrel is floated all the way back then stiffen the forend area of the stock. Next I would skim bed it as this has always had good effects on accuracy for me. I've never seen a reverse in the accuracy from doing this.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Gold Member

Groups under 1 moa isn't terrible in a factory Savage.
I've seen more than one factory rifle costing twice that price not shot 1 moa groups.
A SSS trigger may help if you've got the old style trigger. Stockade sells some pretty nice replacement stocks for the Savage.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

I would say good but not great. You can probably improve it for very little $$ if you open the forend WAY up and bed the action. Neither of these are difficult or expensive and will probably help considerably.

As an aside...are you able to shoot better than MOA with other rifles?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
As an aside...are you able to shoot better than MOA with other rifles?
Yes, but by no means am I an outstadiding shot. I won't claim that in the midst of those who are. I did have some glop put in the stock and there is no contact on the barrel. It is super flimsy as I never did anything to stiffen the forend. I've been eyeballen some Russo stocks latley.....
Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
... It is super flimsy as I never did anything to stiffen the forend. I've been eyeballen some Russo stocks latley.....
If you take the stock off and twist it a little, you will see that a lot of the flex comes from the thin area around the mag well, there really isn't a good way to stiffen that area and still have a repeater. Spending a bunch of effort on the forend will not make it much better. The Russo Stocks are good, as are some of the Stockade stocks.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives