Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Factory barrel break procedure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Factory barrel break procedure

How do you guys feel about this procedure? Found it online and was thinking about using it on a new Kimber Montana I just got. Thanks

Break-in procedure for factory barrels:
Clean.
Work the first 4-5 inches of barrel from breech with a small amount of JB bore paste on a patch, back and forth 10-15 times.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 two more times.
Clean.
Fire one shot, clean. (repeat 5 times for SS barrel, 10-15 times for Chrome-Moly barrels)
Fire three shots, clean. (repeat 3 times for Chrome barrel)
Fire five shots, clean.
Now repeat that whole process until copper fouling is minimized usually about 3 times on a centerfire rifle, 5 times on a rimfire rifle.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Factory barrel break procedure

No opinions on this procedure?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

Seems excessive to me, I don't mess with factory barrels much though. Don't Kimbers come with good barrels that don't need all that effort?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

I have 3 Kimber montana's and one of the barrels needed 10 break in rounds. The second one took close to 60. It was very rough. I was thinking about trying this method for this barrel but was not sure if I should
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

How did you decide the barrel was "broke in"? Did it shoot better?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 PM
SPONSOR

My break-in procedure for factory barrels is as follows; Make sure you have the correct bushing for your barrel vise. Put the barrel in the vise and snug it down tight. Place the action wrench on the action and remove the action from the barrel. Remove the barrel from the vise. Take it to the scrap bin or the garden (for a tomatoe stake). This only applies to firearms that have no 'collectable' value.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
My break-in procedure for factory barrels is as follows; Make sure you have the correct bushing for your barrel vise. Put the barrel in the vise and snug it down tight. Place the action wrench on the action and remove the action from the barrel. Remove the barrel from the vise. Take it to the scrap bin or the garden (for a tomatoe stake). This only applies to firearms that have no 'collectable' value.
If this were a couple years ago, I may have taken offense to that. But since your my gunsmith, and your building my new LR Rifle ill just laugh, & shake my head. I keep learning things I thought I already knew.... I've had some factory shooters. But I suppose in comparison to a high quality, aftermarket barrel on a squared, & trued action, done right by a reputable gun plumber, none of my factory sticks would compare. I seriously can't wait to see what you've made!!! I'm waiting on pins, & needles!!
Your the man Ted

In answer to the question on "how can you tell when its broke in?"
The short answer is, your cleaning time is cut down drastically, & your groups tend to be more consistant in comparison. In essence, your just knocking down the rough edges.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"