Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Factory ammo suggestions please....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Factory ammo suggestions please....

So i just got my son a Remington 700 police in a 308. I am not set up to hand load yet so i was hopeing to get a few suggestions on factory ammo. The barrel is a little different because it came from remington with a 1:12 twist rate. The only other factor to keep in mind is i would really like the bullet to do the job on the bench and in the field.(mainly whitetail and hogs) I also have a couple of newbe scope questions in that thread if you have the time. Thanks for the help.

Ryan
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Factory ammo suggestions please....

I just recently came across this article on the 308. It mostly talks about match bullets and reloading but does have some info on hunting bullets as well. It will atleast get you started and it's a great little article.

.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide
Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM

First let me say welcome to the site.
My opinion is use the Hornday 150 SST (light magnum).
I have a Rem 700 in the VFS 308 and have not shot alot but it seem to like them so far.
My suggestion is ask the same thread in the reloading forum. Those members really know there stuff, and they tell you to reload when you get a chance but they can help you find something you like in a factory load. Or get you close, because most of the seniors "DO NOT LIKE " factory ammo you will come to find out.

Also if you find something "just perfect" and you don't mind pass it my way.

Good luck, and hope your son has fun with his new rifle.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

IMHO, you will be best off simply trying a couple different premium shells. Your rifle may not like what other rifles like and vice versa. If It was me looking for a load I woud find one of the cheapest brands I could and get a 150 gr, 165 gr, and a 180 grain (in the ball park anyway). Find out which of these weights will shoot better. THen I would go to a couple different brand of premium cartidges in that approximate weight and do the same. Your 12 twist should stableize anyting less than 200 grain. You are better off with the long range stuff to try to get a higher BC for the weight so you want Boat tails. However, If your rifle shoots flat based bullets better than you will be better off just shooting what works in your rifle.

IMO the optimum weight for long range in a 308 is between 165 and 190 but that is just my opinion... I don't shoot the 308 anymore so I have no real first hand experience.
Good luck, Mark.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
IMHO, you will be best off simply trying a couple different premium shells. Your rifle may not like what other rifles like and vice versa. If It was me looking for a load I woud find one of the cheapest brands I could and get a 150 gr, 165 gr, and a 180 grain (in the ball park anyway). Find out which of these weights will shoot better. THen I would go to a couple different brand of premium cartidges in that approximate weight and do the same. Your 12 twist should stableize anyting less than 200 grain. You are better off with the long range stuff to try to get a higher BC for the weight so you want Boat tails. However, If your rifle shoots flat based bullets better than you will be better off just shooting what works in your rifle.

IMO the optimum weight for long range in a 308 is between 165 and 190 but that is just my opinion... I don't shoot the 308 anymore so I have no real first hand experience.
Good luck, Mark.
I picked up three different loads from academy today a we will give them a spin...i will report back..thanks for the input.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

federal 165gr btsp gameking
hornady lm 150 gr spirepoint
remington 150 gr scirrocco
winchester 150gr powerpoint

these shot around 3/4" to 1" in my sons PSS.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Try HSM's Berger ammo in 168g VLD ($27.96) and 185g VLD ($28.73) ...

http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catal...rgerRetail.pdf

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.