Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Factory ammo blowing out primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

Factory ammo blowing out primers?

Today I went to shoot my son's Savage 25-06 mod 111 after we had bedded the plastic stock.... I first attempt at that.... it worked really well... anyway we had been shooting my reloads and trying to work up a load from what I had on hand. The rifle was showing some major improvement over the previous times.

He wanted to shoot some factory ammo so after returning home to get a couple of boxes I had he shot 3 rounds of Federal Premium 110 grain Accubond stuff.... the group was horrible.... 2+ inches at 100 yards... When he walked up range I took the rifle to pull a snake through it and I opened the bolt and noticed two primers floating around in there.... 2 of the three rounds blew the primer clear out....

I have NEVER seen factory ammo do this..... I hope that I got the pic to upload so you can see....

Ryan
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Factory ammo blowing out primers?

Doesn't take many of those to cut your bolt face up. Email the manufacturer photos
and ask for a new box. They frequently send extras.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Bronze Member

It actually broke the ejector... I got a lot of great advice here tonight on how to get it out of the bolt... kind of bummed.... but learned a TON
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

You may say I'm crazy but check or have a gunsmith check the headspace and firing pin protrusion, some times if the firing pin wears or somehow gets backed off and just is hitting hard enough to light off the rounds this can happen, excessive headspace that may have not been on your reloads due to the amount you bump the shoulder back ( or lack of ) can also do this.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Gold Member

I have a ruger hawkeye 264 that did the same thing. I sent it back to ruger and they said there was rough scaling in the first part of the barrel. They ended up rebarreling it and its fine now.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

this is one of the main reasons I started reloading some 20 years ago.I hate the fact that all factory ammo is loaded hot.I still grit my teeth when some one wants me to sight in their rifel for hinting season.they all bring me factory ammo to shoot.

we all know that speed isn't the most important part of reloading.but will add that some do along with accuracy.another thing I hate about a fast round is barrel life.it just ends up being to short a life for the barrel for me.

ok I know none of this had to do with the OP's post but had to say it.but will say again that all factory ammo is loaded hot.why I do not know.I am sorry the OP had to go through this.its hard for one to own a nice rifel and something like this to happen.if it was me I would make the maker of the ammo pay for the bolt to be fixed.i think they owe that to him.it was their ammo that did the damage in the first place.he has the proof to show it was their ammo.again sorry to here about your range day.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Johnboy I'm not sure how you are finding this to be true, I'm not bashing but I have only run a couple factory loads through a chrony that were as fast as stated on the box or in a shooters bible. Most factory loads come up 100fps short and some even more. Even rimfire ammo, I have chronied cci stinger 22lr rated at 1625 and 1460 was the fastest of ten shots with 1288 being the low. From what I have seen only double tap, corbon, and weatherby will fly at or above stated velocities. I chronyed some fed 30-06 150grn accubonds rated at 2940 and they ran an average of 2811, and hand loading the same bullet in the same rifle with better accuracy I get an average of 3022.