Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Which Factory action for a semi-custom rifle???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Which Factory action for a semi-custom rifle???

Question:

If you were going to build a semi-custom, and what I mean by that is that you are going to use one of these two actions and rebarrel them to a different caliber but one that WILL actually fit either, which would you use and why? Which ACTION do you think would be more accurate from the box, and which do you think is more "stout?"

Your options are:

The CZ550 Safari Magnum OR the Ruger Safari Magnum.

The caliber will be a .338 Allen Xpress (aka .338 Lapua 30 degree Improved).

Thanks for your "enlightenment!"
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Factory action for a semi-custom rifle???

Dont take this as gosple truth, but I think yhe Ruger will be easier/cheaper to find parts for. Dont know for sure, but that'd be my vote.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Which Factory action for a semi-custom rifle???

I needed some parts (sear, sear spring,recoil spring) for a CZ automatic handgun and had no problem getting them from CZ USA in Kansas City. Many Ruger parts are not available outside of the factory, they want you to send the gun to them, and they don't like modifications, although, they have a pretty short turn around time.