Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which Factory 300 Win Under $1k?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which Factory 300 Win Under $1k?

I've had 2 A-Bolts, and still have 1 of them......They are on the same level as a Remington 700 and an older Ruger 77 MKII (tang safety), which, IMO, is a step above Savage and Winchester. I have no issues with Winchester or Savage, I just think the 700 and A-Bolt II are superior platforms to build off of.

Brownings are tricky. Alot of gunsmiths won't touch them, but they are incredible actions, and incredibly accurate rifles out of the box.

I hunt deer with my A-Bolt, it is my main hunting rifle, and my go-to for hunting hogs, deer, etc... It is an A-Bolt II Composite Stalker 7mm Rem Mag w/ BOSS. And it is a tack-driver with my reloads. I just made some COL adjustments to my reloads, so I plan on giving them a try and seeing how it likes them.

Don't underestimate the A-Bolt II action. They are incredibly well designed and very strong.

Also, to answer your other question....VERY VERY FEW stock rifles will perform how you are expecting them to. You will most likely still have to swap out to an aftermarket barrel, have your action blueprinted, and have a high-quality scope to be able to shoot 1000 yards consistantly. Not to mention the practice and ammo cost, even if you reload. Load development will be expensive and alot of wear and tear on your rifle. Lots of other things.

Long-Range shooting and hunting is in no way an inexpensive hobby. It is very time consuming and very very expensive.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

I realize my constraints are fairly tight but I did not think Sub MOA was unreasonable for a factory rifle with reloads. That's really only asking it to do .99 MOA honestly.

I guess if there is no factory rifle then I'll just build another Savage. With a McGowan tube (even with a factory tube they will generally do that) they will meet that spec fairly easily and do it well under $1k. They are not as smooth or refined as some of the others but they do group. I was just hoping to step up in class and get something with some refinements.

BTW - Optics were not included in the $1k mark. . .

Old 02-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

I would say the only factory built rifles that will do it would be (now days) $1250+ rifles. I mean, back when guns were cheap, I bought my Sendero SF for $700 brand new, and it shoots the lights out with factory and reloads. However, new Senderos are $1,500.....Inflation over time. Sendros, 5R's, and my buddy has a stock 700 SPS .300 Win Mag that shoots ragged holes @ 100 yards with specific handload recipes.

So yes, a $600 rifle is possible to shoot better, but one that will handle 1000 yards will require tweaking by a gunsmith.

I mean, you can buy a basic Remington 700 action from Brownells for $400-$500 and have a good barrel cut and installed and have everything trued, and be around the same cost as a Sendero, and it will also outshoot that Sendero, too, with the right loads. Custom and trued, always trumps factory and mass-produced. That's what I'd do if I didn't have access to a spare action. Heck, your gunsmith might even have a spare action laying around he might sell you on the cheap side.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Savage bear hunter is a pretty nice setup... but I agree the Sendero is sweet!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

I have the pre-Bear Hunter or then FSAK and it handles and shoots great! If you keep an eye on Gunbroker I got mine for $450.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

A-Bolt for hunting rig is hard to beat. They are accurate, quality built, and I really like their detachable hinged floorplate. I'd like to see other use their detachable mag system. Tough choice between Remington and Browning. Fit and finish awesome in Brownings.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

That's why I have both! LOL

I have 1 Browning (had one before, but it got stolen years ago), and have several Rem 700's for a reason...There's alot more accessories and parts out there for them. Plus, while I love the A-Bolts thoroughly, the Rem 700 is a timeless classic, and trued and true proven design...It just simply can't be beat. But the A-Bolts give them a close run for their money in 2nd place.

Quote: