Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Fact or Fiction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Fact or Fiction

I have always heard that Boat tail bullets will wear/burn out a barrel quicker than a flat based bullet.

Any truth to this?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fact or Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogknott View Post
I have always heard that Boat tail bullets will wear/burn out a barrel quicker than a flat based bullet.

Any truth to this?
From where I am its a fact that's fiction.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Bronze Member

Fiction. Extreme heat from repeated shooting sessions and pressure will burn out a barrel. The basic design of a bullet (boattail or flat base) will have very little to do with this. That's the abridged version.

I have never heard of this being the case but just because I have never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't so.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I am not so sure its completely fiction, there are alot of other variables to consider. If we are talking about bore wear, I would say its fiction, BUT, if your talking about throat wear, it can certainly be fact. DEPENDING on the specs of the throat.

If the throat is loose, the hot gases certainly are directed around the base of the bullet to a more focused degree with a boat tail then with a flat base bullet. Meaning that more volume of gas will be allowed to slip around the bullet and this will be harder on the throat then a flat based bullet. Will it be measureable....... Hard to say.

All that said, in a match barrel with a quality chamber, the throats are cut very tight so in that case, the bullet will nearly seal off in the throat and there will be no gas blowby, very little anyway compared to say a factory chamber with loose throat.

Again, many variables to consider and can greatly effect how things work and wear.

In the end, while there may be some difference, it may not be measurable.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
SPONSOR

I don't know of any tests that have been done to address this.

In response to the reasonable and credible posts above which suggest that BT bullets may accelerate barrel or throat wear, I say; "who cares?"

A .30-06 will wear out a barrel faster than a .308 Win, and a .300 Win Mag will wear out a barrel faster yet. But the important question is: "what's best at long range?" Higher velocity, of course; it's worth it because it achieves a better result.

Even if it were shown that flat base bullets did act to prolong the life of a barrel by a measurable amount, I don't think that would change anyone's choice to shoot BT's at long range, because the reductions in base drag and the resulting increase in BC and trajectory are worth it.

I'm not discouraging your question, just pointing out that in my opinion, it doesn't matter.

Good shooting,
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 10-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

After reading my original post, keep in mind that I do not shoot any flat base bullets. All the bullets I shoot are either rebated boat tail or standard boat tail bullets so you can see even though I theorize that there may be something to this, I do not worry about it.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Bronze Member

dogknott,

If I said, Yes, beyond a shadow of a doubt that BT's wear out barrels faster, would you decide to shoot flat base (FB) bullets to 700+ yards? If you are not going to take a shot greater than 300 yards, shoot FB's. If you're going to shoot long range, then you've got to shoot BT's.