Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

extream LR bullet expansion on game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: extream LR bullet expansion on game

Both were from my .338 LM 10 twist 27.5" Lilja. 300 SMK ver H-1000 with a MV of 2805.

First was a kansas WT doe at 1137 yards feeding in a tilled grain field hillside. I have inpact velocity at 1668 fps. She was full broadside and the POI was right at the back of the ribcage and caught the back rib on exit. Bullet made a full pass through and in the video you could see 2 or 3 small distinctive dust clouds on the other side of the deer. So the bullet broke up but must have been pretty good sized chunks. Probably did it as it exited on that rib. Exit hole was fairly large as I remember like 2".

Second was a Bull Elk at 1130 yards. I have impact velocity at 1674. It was 3/4 facing me and I took a high near shoulder for POA. My wind call was off and the bullet landed about 12" left at the base of the neck. Again full pass through with a smaller exit of about 1".

Both animals dropped where the stood.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 03-09-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Both were from my .338 LM 10 twist 27.5" Lilja. 300 SMK ver H-1000 with a MV of 2805.

First was a kansas WT doe at 1137 yards feeding in a tilled grain field hillside. I have inpact velocity at 1668 fps. She was full broadside and the POI was right at the back of the ribcage and caught the back rib on exit. Bullet made a full pass through and in the video you could see 2 or 3 small distinctive dust clouds on the other side of the deer. So the bullet broke up but must have been pretty good sized chunks. Probably did it as it exited on that rib. Exit hole was fairly large as I remember like 2".

Second was a Bull Elk at 1130 yards. I have impact velocity at 1674. It was 3/4 facing me and I took a high near shoulder for POA. My wind call was off and the bullet landed about 12" left at the base of the neck. Again full pass through with a smaller exit of about 1".

Both animals dropped where the stood.

Jeff
Jeff when you field dressed the elk what type of internal damage was noted?
Did the bullet hit any bone? and with the quartering shot into the base of the neck where about was the exit hole?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Jeff when you field dressed the elk what type of internal damage was noted?
Did the bullet hit any bone? and with the quartering shot into the base of the neck where about was the exit hole?
I said 3/4 facing me but you know how hard it is to determin at this distance through a scope. The Bulls head was to the left and I could easily tell he was not broadside and was "somewhat" facing me. So my point of aim was for the "front left corner" of him. I was hoping to either get the shoulder or if I was off get the brisket or neck as the way he was facing it would not have taken much of a miss right to be in the salad bowl. The wind was right to left and took me left into the neck. Sorry I only field dressed him and didn't skin him. It was 8:30 pm by the time I got him loaded and first thing in the am he was off to the butcher. So I don't know what the bullet hit on it's way through, but it must have been somehing good as he literally rared up and fell over backwards and never kicked. The exit was right at the frot edge of the far shoulder where the neck starts. If it had been any farther back it would probably have been very close or into the shoulder bone. Hope I explaned this well enough. Kinda hard, but think of a narrow target with only the front corner of the shoulder and neck for a desired point of impact with only about 1 moa left or right for a desired hit.

I want to add this pic. It is not what you wanted for distance but may be of interest. This is a 300 SMK from My Lapua @ 2805 MV and an impact velocity of 2235 fps. Distance was 526 yards. This was from a previous Bull Elk, an older 6x6. Entrance was at the back of the near shoulder, and bullet stopped under the hide after penetrating the far shoulder too. Bullet retained about 60% of it's weight.

Jeff

Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Guys I am looking for first hand experience with bullets on game at 1200 to 2000 yards.

I need to know cartrige, bullet, impact velocity (aprox), animal, and shot placement/effect.

Mostly looking for 30, 338, 375 cal. info.
Trying to work my way into an extream LR rig in 2 years time.

The longest shot to date that I have 1st hand witness to is 1180y on a Mule deer with a 200AB out of a 300 rum, impact velocity of 1800fps.
Bullet expanded and exited, breaking one rib on the in side and leaving a 1.2 inch hole thru the vitals.
Jim...Did you recover that bullet? If so, how MUCH did it expan?d
Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Jim....Try this! Measure the meplat on a Berger or SMK, then drill out the tip with a bit 1/2 of the diameter. Don't go into the lead but just through the jacket. Fill the resulting void with silicon flush with tip. The idea is to thin the jacket a little at the nose and the silicon will create a hydraulic action to start expansion. This will not change the b.c. or accuracy. You can use the factory version for close range and the modified ones at long range with no POI difference....Rich
Old 03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Jim....Try this! Measure the meplat on a Berger or SMK, then drill out the tip with a bit 1/2 of the diameter. Don't go into the lead but just through the jacket. Fill the resulting void with silicon flush with tip. The idea is to thin the jacket a little at the nose and the silicon will create a hydraulic action to start expansion. This will not change the b.c. or accuracy. You can use the factory version for close range and the modified ones at long range with no POI difference....Rich
Good idea Rich
Old 03-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

No I don't believe Matt found it, zipped right thru, but from the intenal damage it apeared to have expanded well.

On the tip mods. I talked to Nate today and he had been kicking around the idea of a 375 chey tac with 350smk, (Ididn't see them on seirras web-site last I checked)

The discusion was to tim the metplat back to create a bit flatter and larger tip, knowing there will be a slight loss of BC but also a more consistant bc from bullet to bullet. Hoping in the end expansion might be a bit better.

Nathan and I also discussed his 300 smk shots on deer and he had a few stories of no expansion and deer traveling quite a ways with just a vent hole thru and thru.
He said if he goes back to a 338 he'll try the 285 a-max. That bullet I have not even seen yet.

Last edited by Coyboy; 03-09-2011 at 06:04 PM.