Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

extream LR bullet expansion on game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

extream LR bullet expansion on game

Guys I am looking for first hand experience with bullets on game at 1200 to 2000 yards.

I need to know cartrige, bullet, impact velocity (aprox), animal, and shot placement/effect.

Mostly looking for 30, 338, 375 cal. info.
Trying to work my way into an extream LR rig in 2 years time.

The longest shot to date that I have 1st hand witness to is 1180y on a Mule deer with a 200AB out of a 300 rum, impact velocity of 1800fps.
Bullet expanded and exited, breaking one rib on the in side and leaving a 1.2 inch hole thru the vitals.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: extream LR bullet expansion on game

Jim- give Kevin a call. He and JUDD killed a doe this year with his 338-408 around 1550 yds this year with a 300SMK. He'd probably have some good info for you. I know he has had some additional experience with that bullet and other chamberings out pretty far as well.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

There is this old thread you can look at. It is really raggedy because all of the internet wonders keep running their mouth.

Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

Most of the people had a hard time accepting the truth so they started a whole new thread so they could all agree on the same old thing. But it was pretty worthless.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

With the 300 gr SMK (I have shot a few animals with these at a varity of distances) you can expect full penetration on a deer on most shots out to 1900+ as long as you don't get into the shoulder very much. If you have an impact velocity of 1800 fps or more you will get pretty good bullet expansion most of the time. I like to shoot bone so I am drawn to the deep penetrating traits of the SMK an like the fact that most of the time it still expands. I have shot 3 elk over 1000, 1 black bear and a hand full of whitetails none showed huge exit wounds, all dropped within 30 yards and most dropped where they stood. I give credit to shot placement and penetration as expansion was not a contributing factor on an of them. Hope this helps make it clear.

Mark,

On the 1935 yards shot, you will be ablew to see the DVD soon but here is the quick and dirty version of bullet performance:

Impact velocity was 1280 fps and about 1100 ft/lbs
Shot was quartering to, inpact was mid ribcage entry and exit half way between the ribcage and front of the hip on the off side.
Exit wound was not visible until skinned and was about the size of a nickel.
Animal moved about 30 yards and folded.

..:efensive Edge - Custom Gunsmithing::..
1-208-687-2659

I found this in your link Bob, thank you.
Shawn has alot of knowledge I wish he was here a little bit more I always enjoy reading his stuff.

I don't want this thread to turn into a debate, I'm more interested in bullet expansion thresh-holds in velocity and yardages by first hand experience.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

I have some info on two 1130 yard shots with 300 smk's. But you requested 1200 plus. Let me know if you want what I got.

Good thread!!

Thanks

Jeff
Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
There is this old thread you can look at. It is really raggedy because all of the internet wonders keep running their mouth.

Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

Most of the people had a hard time accepting the truth so they started a whole new thread so they could all agree on the same old thing. But it was pretty worthless.
Hey there BB... did you find some coffee grinds in the bottom of your cup this morning. I hate when that happens and I have to spit them out of my teeth and mouth.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have some info on two 1130 yard shots with 300 smk's. But you requested 1200 plus. Let me know if you want what I got.

Good thread!!

Thanks

Jeff
Yes Jeff, give up the beans, I would be curios how they worked at thast distance
I have only shot one Mule deer with the 300 smk at a meager 660 yards. The bullet upset and did a fine job, but by no means was the wound channel excessive. really could not distigish it from a hole left by a 308 with cup and core bullets. So in that instance I was pleased it did not ruin alot of meat.

Last edited by Coyboy; 03-08-2011 at 07:05 PM.