Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Extractor problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Extractor problems

Kirby & Jay,
Again thanks for the encouraging words. If I don't forget I will try to post my response after my bolt/rifle returns to me.
I can't say for sure but hopefully my pressure load testing days are over. You never know though. :> ) Johnny K.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jay,

How would it be possible for a sako extractor to fly out?

I have installed many of this style of extractors and I machine them for very tight fits as I am sure you do as well.

A large portion of the extractor is actually enclosed by the bolt nose recess in the barrel and the rest is contained by the receiver when the bolt is locked.

I have not witnessed or heard of any problems with teh Sako extractors blowing out of the bolt, would be interested in your experience with this problem.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-11-2004, 04:10 AM
Bronze Member

My gunsmith has told me the same thing about sako extractors. Hesaid to be carefull with high pressure loads as they will come loose. Mike Bryant talks about this problem with sako extractors on his website.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:22 AM
Bronze Member

The Sako extractor is a good extractor, but does have some drawbacks. The only time that I would recommend using a Sako style extractor is when changing bolt face sizes, ie. going from a .223 to a .308 or a magnum size. The Sako extractor has been known to be blown out of the action in the event of a case failure. If you choose to have a Sako style extractor installed, don't load to maximum or excess pressures as you don't want the extractor to become a flying object. If at all possible, keep the original Remington extractor and use an action with the appropriate size bolt face or use another make of action with the correct bolt face. I will only install Sako extractors in Remington actions and will not be responsible for maximum or excess loadings or any other cause of a case failure in the rifle. If you have a Sako extractor installed, remember YOU MUST NOT LOAD to maximum or excessive loads for that rifle.

This is off mike bryant web site
Old 09-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

How is the Sako bolt different from the Remington, and is there a problem with the Sako extractor in a factory bolt?
db