Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Extractor problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Bronze Member

Extractor problems

This A.M. I discovered that my 7mag Sendero's extractor is broke. It broke right before the lip that catches the casehead. The part with the rivet is still in the boltface. I looked on Brownell's website and think that I need the "extractor, rivet type, belted magnum, pg 412, p/n 767-157-090".
Do any of the resident gunsmiths know for sure? If so, is it just a matter of using the correct size punch to "de-install" the broke one and install the new one and brad it? Help! Any advise/help would be appreciated. Johnny K.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:11 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Extractor problems

Help......anyone........
Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 AM
Bronze Member

You must take care when replacing the extractor. The small rivet has a beveled head on the inside and the outside has been "upset" or "peened" into a small countersine on the outside of the bolt snout. You can't just start hammering on a punch on the outside of the rivet. The rivet body is quite a bit smaller than what you see on the outside. A little bit of help from a skilled gunsmith or machininst might be valuable on the first rivet that you remove.
An anvil is needed to support the rivet head, inside the bolt snout, when you swadge the new rivet into the countersink on the outside. I made one but they are available from Brownells.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Johnny K,

Whenever I have a Rem 700 come into the shop with extractor problem, I replace them with a Sako stype extractor.

It is a little more costly as the bolt needs to be machined to fit the extractor but the results are a much stronger extractor which will grab a huge amount of case rim compared to teh Rem extractor.

Most extractors I have seen replaced by smiths are installed with the improper angle which I agree is difficult to do correctly with the rivited in extractors.

Spend a little more money and have a Sako extractor fitted and never worry about it again.

If you want more information on these just let me know.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Bronze Member

Jay and Kirby,
Thanks for the help/info. I have decided to have a local gunsmith install the Sako extracor vice the OEM one. Johnny K.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Johnny K,

Good choice, you will not be unhappy with a properly fitted Sako extractor.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, I have several 700/722 with Sako extractors, yes I've installed them for a few friends. But I worry about them. NEVER let a lefthanded person shoot one of your Rem's with a Sako extractor. A blown extractor would hit that person in the face and probably cause serious damage.
I'll use a Sako only to save a bolt that has been damaged. Ya, I'm getting more careful as I get older.