Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Experience with 208 grain Hornady HPBT on game?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

Experience with 208 grain Hornady HPBT on game?

Hey guys, I just finished my first full-custom long range hunting gun, and I went to the local Cabela's to pick up a box of 208 grain Hornady AMAXes for long range hunting critters from crows to whitetails and mulies. Unfortunately, I opened the box and discovered I'd gotten a mis-labeled box of of 208 grain HPBT's. After a frustrating week, I didn't even bother taking them back for exchange.

Now, Hornady lists the loading data for both the AMAX and HPBT to be exactly the same, so I just loaded up a few HPBT's to see how they'd shoot. They shoot veeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry well.

I know lots of guys here have used the AMAX on game, and (correct me if I'm wrong) it expands fairly quickly, making it great for long distance, lower-velocity impacts.

Has anybody had experience with the HPBT?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Experience with 208 grain Hornady HPBT on game?

We shot the 225 out of dads rum and he killed an elk with it at 550ish last year. It penetrated like 2 inches then it hit its back bone and disappeared. I don't know if it followed up its back bone or what happened but it was a dead elk after the shot either way. Don't know if that helps but its the only thing we've shot with it